Premed 101 Forums

What is the Interview like?

Guest Valani9

Guest Valani9

I know this has probably been discussed in another link - sorry if it's repetitive.

A couple of questions:

-do the interviewers have access to your sketch and pif?

-how long does it last?

Cheers

Guest devomcd

I was speaking to a faculty member (who has sat on interview panels in the past) about this the other day. Apparently, the three interviewers are only given your autobiographical sketch and never see any other aspect of your application. I'm assuming that the Queen's PIF and letters of reference are exclusively evaluated by the Admissions Committee. From what people have posted previously, I'm expecting a ~45min. interview, give or take.

edit: whoops, already answered.

Guest UWOMED2005

They have you perform surgery on a baboon with appendicitis while repeatedly poking you in the eyes with a stick. :eek

Just kidding. Honestly, I interviewed at Queen's and it was a great experience. The questions were all of the "get to know you" type and there were no surprises, other than being asked "would you play for Queen's varsity rugby team?" (I had listed a whole lot of rugby related activities but was under the impression I'd never have time to play in med school) On the whole, I can't complain. . . though it would have been nice to get a bottle of water for the interview like they do at certain other unnamed schools. . . (Western!)

Guest UWOMED2005

That's a new addition! But do they have. . .

Nuts, I can no longer think of anything the Western interviews have that the Queen's interview have.

Oh well, for anyone interviewing at either school, you'll enjoy them both. :)

Guest cgb2006

Hey everyone:

My interview at Queen's was VERY relaxed last year. My interviewers were great. As previously mentioned they do have access to your sketch. Being an out of province student, my interviewers initiated my interview by making small talk about where I had travelled from, how I had gotten to Kingston, what I thought of Kingston so far, etc. The small talk naturally led into a discussion about what I was studying at school and I why I was studying at the school I happened to be attending. The interview really was very much non-directed, or better yet, self-directed. It was very much like an easy conversation that kept branching out from whatever topic we happened to be discussing about my background, my experiences, or my thoughts. There were a couple of standard questions thrown into the mix once the major topics of non-directed conversation were exhausted, but these questions were getting-to-know-you type questions. For example: How do you study, How do you relieve stress, What do you do in your free time..... There was nothing unreasonable asked in the interview. The interviews here at Queen's, at least in my experience, are not a test of your factual knowledge. Its much more of an attempt to discern your level of maturity, your ability to communicate, and your motivations for medicine. Your ability to recall the major points of the Romanow report is not what they seem to be looking for. That being said, a knowledge of pertinent health issues and your ability to discuss them in relevant parts of the interview, ex. providing an example to support an idea you expressed in your interview, is definitely necessary. Instead of memorizing Romanow's report, try finding something in it that you feel strongly about and are able to discuss confidently. If you're committing yourself to medicine, it really is important to have a general understanding of the current health care climate.

What I'm really trying to iterate is that the interview is very relaxed. The interviewers try very hard to ensure you feel relaxed. They do offer you water to drink during the interview. Last year the interviews took place in our beautiful Clinical Education Centre, inside a mock-clinic exam room. We all sat around a small table (the interviewers were not behind a desk, or around a table with you at the head, like I experienced at other schools)....it was a very relaxed set up, as if you were all on common ground rather than the interviewee being in the spotlight.

My biggest piece of advice, from my own personal experience, is to take advantage of the conversation offered by the first year medical students in the waiting room. I arrived at my interview feeling EXTREMELY nervous. I talked with one student for appx 15 minutes prior to my interview. She talked about her interview experience, and how important it was to just BE YOURSELF. Be honest about your thoughts, your beliefs and your feelings. She couldn't have been more right. Most importantly she got me to relax. By the time I was called in for my interview, I was very relaxed and did exactly what she advised me to do - to be myself. And it worked. Applying to med school is about finding a place that will not only admit you, but also finding a place suited to your personality and lifestyle. So be yourself, and you may find both.

Hope my experience can help all of you. Finally, I would advise you to access the interviewfeedback site....wherever it is now. Many of the questions I found here were common with those used at my interview at Queen's.

Good luck to everyone....see you interview weekend!

Guest SteveChin

Hey there,

I just found this forum by accident! It's kinda neat; I wish I saw it last year. :) Anyway, do you think a link from our class website to this forum would be helpful for applicants?

• 3 years later...

Archived