Premed 101 Forums

Interviews?

Guest BCgirl

Guest r6punkette

kellyl20, I know strider2004 knows the exact numbers, but off the top of my head I think they went through about 260 people to fill the 100 seats in our class. So congrats to all who got their interview notices! You have a very good chance of getting in if you have a good interview.

And for those who made the cutoffs but haven't received their notices, try your best not to worry (I know it's easier said than done :\ ). The chance of your mail travelling slowly is much greater than the undergrad office making a mistake. Maybe give them a call next week if you still don't have it, but for now, try to keep your mind busy with other things!

Guest strider2004

Here's what I remember from last year as an interviewer.

2 interview weekends

I interviewed on the first weekend and did 6 the first day and 5 the second day.

We went from 9am-12pm, 1h for lunch, then 1-4pm.

The interview typically lasts for about 45 minutes. We also try to give the interviewee enough time to ask us questions that they might have about the school. As much as the interview is about getting to know you, the applicant, the interview is also about trying to recruit you to our school. Let this be an opportunity to see if you think you would 'fit' in our community.

The interview panel only has access to your autobiographical sketch and we'll tell you that at the beginning of the interview (if not earlier). If you think there's something really cool that you did and you mentioned it on your PIF, by all means, mention it again during the interview! We try to be as relaxed as possible. It's normal to be nervous as the start of the interview. Hopefully after a few minutes, you would have settled down enough to give us a true reflection of yourself. And no BSing! There's no point.

Stats: last year about 450 interviews, ~230 acceptances to fill 100 spots. Acceptances will occur until late August so if you're on the waiting list, have hope!

Guest drews97

I just got my interview acceptance a few days ago. The day after I got invited for first round interviews in Edmonton (crap!!, it's only two weeks away) and I must say that the folks in Kingston sound more hospitible. The U of A letter used language like "if you don't respond your file will be closed". Anyway, I'm a little nervous about going to Kingston as I've never been there before. I'm wondering if I should billet?? Anyone know what Kingston is like?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Drew,

Billet!!!! There is NO better way to learn about a school and its students (IMHO) than to billet with a current medical student. I billeted last year at UWO and it was seriously the greatest time ever! I was totally sold on the school, its students and curriculum (and met some great people that were very happy to see me there that September). Having the opportunity to chat with a current med student who has been in your shoes before is priceless IMHO, and there's no better way to set yourself at ease before the big day. So my recommendation is that if you have half the chance, definitely billet- it's fun and a great way to learn about your prospective school and its students. :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest bad hombre

Drew,

Don't worry too much about Kingston, it's a relatively small town and its easy to get around. Most of the cab drivers have a good idea where everything is, and if they don't then chances are you can ask someone around you who does. Good luck!

I am excited about coming to Queen's for an interview!! I was wondering about the number of applicants that were accepted last year and if 230 is an accurate number?? It just seems like a lot to fill a class of 100 (although the odds sound great to me!!)

Guest strider2004

Yes, it's accurate. The problem is that the selection factors are so similar between UofT, UWO and Queens that these school share many of their applicants. As such, people often get multiple acceptances from these schools. I think all of them have to accept about the same number of students to fill their class (UofT accepts a few more but they have more spots to fill).

I received an interview invite for Queens on March 22nd. I live in Toronto and was planning to rent a car to drive to Kingston on the Friday night. I would either come back Saturday night or Sunday morning. Anyone interested in car pooling?

PD

Guest Namgalsip

Hey PD,

Well we might not have the same Ottawa interview but we lucked out on the Queen's one. I have a car and planning to drive it to Queen's on the Friday (the 21st). Would you like to join me?

Nams

My Interview is on March 1st at 3pm. I'm billeting with a med student there and so luckily I got a place to crash. I live in the T-dot and I'n thinking of various ways to get up there: either bus (Greyhound) or train (Via Rail). I also have a few friends who might be willing to drive me up (unfortunately I have no car). Hey Lisa88, we could possibly carpool it up together. Do you have a car? Car rental is another possibility. I wouldn't mind chipping in for gas at all. It would actually be very comforting to go to Kingston with someone else who's going through what I am! Let me know. L8ts

Hey Jee Q,

On Feb. 28, I will either be taking the train or getting a ride from my parents (we live in Mississauga)...I'm billetting with a student as well! I also think it would be nice to ride there with someone in the same boat.

Anyhow, if u want to talk further, u can email me:

jodlsantos@hotmail.com

hey strider2004,

doesn't this bring back memories.

too all the interviewees: it is really exciting to get an interview and making the trip up to queen's to see the place, find out about the program and meet the current students. i am excited for you guys and girls. remember to relax and have fun. this is just the beginning of a long road. i wish i was there to see all the new faces. peace.

• 3 years later...

Archived