Premed 101 Forums

Number of interviews

Guest Krish

Hi,

In the Queens' Med Website as well in previous discussions, I think one of the moderators mentioned that the number of interviews offered this year would be 450+. Isn't that a lot for 100 spots? I know for Western, I think only 400 interviews are given. Could someone perhaps provide the number of interviews offered at Queens' last year?

Thanks

Krish

Guest RAK2005

Considering that a number of people who apply to Queen's are also applying to at least 3 or 4 other schools, 450+ is actually an appropriate number. Quite a few applicants choose to accept at other schools, and usually about 1/2 of most interviewees at Queen's get multiple offers. That being said, it sucks to have to compete against so many others, but such is the game that is admissions to meds.

Good luck with your application.

There are usually 400-420 interviews per year at UWO....we have 133 seats. There were also around 400 interviews last year at Toronto and they have 198 seats....and then there is Ottawa which rumour has it interviewed close to 600 last year for about 120 seats? Each school decides how many applicants they a) can logistically afford to interview B) statistically need to interview to have an adequate number of candidates to choose from to fill their class. This number will be different for different schools based on how they weigh the balance between a and b and what the usual ratio of offers made to acceptance of that offer is at that particular school. (ie what percentage of the school's 'top picks' actually come to the school and how far down the wait list they usually go). Don't stress about it at this point.

Guest bad hombre

Hey Rak,

By "half of most interviewees at Queen's get multiple acceptances", do you mean > 25%? Thanks

A lot of people choosing other schools over Queen's? Those people are really missing out.

Guest RAK2005

Yeah, I do mean over > 25%. Last year a ton of folks had multiple offers and Queen's went down pretty far on their waitlist (can't remember exactly how far - maybe a 1st year moderator can help with the numbers). Quite a few of Queen's interviewees also interview at Western and Toronto due to similar requirements...

RAK2005

PS - and those people who didn't come sure did miss out ;)

I'm not a moderator, but the Admissions Office confirms what RAK's said above: "How many applicants were accepted off the wait list [in 2002]? - 75 accepted us although many offers were made". No idea how the situation was at other schools, but I think it works both ways - a lot of ppl in my class had offers elsewhere but waited for admits off the Queen's waitlist. Admissions hasn't yet determined the length of the waitlist for 2003 admits.

And yes, ppl who did choose to go elsewhere missed out on a lot!

Guest strider2004

It typically takes over 200 offers of admission to fill the class. Yes, that means that if you get an interview, there's a 50% chance of getting in. But if you suck in your interview and application, there's a 0% chance of getting in so don't play the odds.

lol about "playing the odds" :)

It does have SOME bearing on interview strategy, though, I think. Given 50/50 odds for getting in after an interview, I will try my best to have a solid interview but not to take any risks. It feels like getting in isn't about standing out tremendously, but about not screwing up.

Guest RAK2005

Honestly, there are sooooooooooo many variables that play into the interview that it becomes impossible to tell where in the 50/50 split you lie. Myself, I felt that Queen's was my worst interview.

Guess I was wrong.

Seriously, you may be pleasantly surpised.

Whatever the numbers say, I don't think it should change your efforts in getting in - you're still going to aim for the highest grades/mcat etc possible, get the best references, write the best essays and sit the best interview you can, 'cause no matter what the stats are no one is ever guaranteed an acceptance.

Good luck all!

Guest UWOMED2005

Actually, I think I know where peachy is coming from. . . if you're one of 1500 people interview for 5 spots, you really do have to really stand out to have a good shot. In that case it might be worth being outlandish (ie being that person who's not wearing a dark suit and tie) just to be that person who stands out. . . the risk that being outlandish might turn someone off maybe worth standing out. On the other hand, with med school interviews you don't have to be THE BEST interview of the day. . . might be better to play it safe and go with the crowd a bit. But always be yourself - answer the questions honestly, be true to yourself, show that you're a breathing friendly human being who'd do well in a patient-doctor interaction and you'll do fine.

This is reaching back kinda far into my memory, but I think there were around 465 interviews at Queen's last year. That's pretty close to the #'s at U of T (450 or so), Western (around 430) and Ottawa (approx. 490).

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Does anyone know what are the plans for Queens in the future in regards to # of seats?

How many will they add in the next few years?

P.S 400+ interviews seems like too many for only 100 seats. Alot must ride on the intervew then, unless they expect almost 200 applicants to accept elsewhere.

Guest cgb2006

Hey there:

At Queen's a lot does ride on your interview. Once you have been selected for an interview, the final assessment for offers of admission is a product of: interview, personal essays, personal sketch and references only. Once you have been granted and interview, your GPA and your MCAT no longer play a role in your acceptance decision. It is a somewhat refreshing approach to admissions that is unfortunately not aspired to by many other medical schools. Once you have been selected for an interview, only personal factors (interview, personal experience - essay and sketch, and references) determine whether or not you will be accepted. That is, what kind of person are you, the experiences you've had, whether can relate with others, and whether or not you could develop into an effective patient communicator is what ultimately decides whether or not you will be accepted to Queen's. Nothing else. I mean really, once you've met certain MCAT and GPA cut-offs, what difference is there between a 3.6 and a 3.7. What's more important is who you are, and what you're capable of becoming.

As for their being 400+ interview: I echo what has been said elsewhere in this forum. Many students apply to multiple medical schools in Ontario...and as a result it is inevitable that many strong candidates will be accepted to more than one school. As a result, Queen's and all the other schools will get many declined offers of admission. Interviewing the top 400+ candidates guarantees that Queen's will be able to fill their class with the quality students that were fortunate enough to make that 400+.

Speaking of being a good communicator, please forgive my gramatical and spelling errors.....its 2 am, and I'm really really tired.

No idea on plans to bump up the numbers, but we are pretty crowded in Botterell B139 (basically the classroom where we all live in first year) already as it is with 100 students... hopefully any expansion plans will come with new, bigger classrooms too.

On a side note, one of the committee meetings a month ago debated introducing a 25-student two-year pre-med programme where you apply straight from high school with guaranteed entry to meds after the two years. It was defeated and probably won't come up for the next while, but just to show that there's a lot of ideas over here and there's a lot of drive and motivation to keep the school fresh and innovative.

• 3 years later...

Archived