Premed 101 Forums

Determining the MCAT cut-offs

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if someone can shed some light here. In the OMSAS brochure within the Queen's section, the 2002 MCAT cut-offs are listed. They also go further to basically state that each year's cut-offs are determined independently, depending on the applicant pool. Does anyone have any idea as to how the MCAT cut-offs for Queen's from year to year, are determined?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest RAK2005

I'm not really sure how they decide, but I think it is pretty likely that they will not go down. As for last year, keeping the same cut-offs as the previous few years resulted in more people getting interviews. Assuming the applicant pool is comparable, I don't see them lowering the current standards. My best GUESS is that they'll be about the same. Good luck in you efforts Kirsteen !

Guest strider2004

They take the median scores from all the applicants and the median GPAs from all the applicants. Effectively, this cuts the applicant pool to 1/4 of its orginal size for interviews. Whenther they do the MCAT cutoff first or the GPA cutoff, I'm not sure. BTW, Kirsteen, I'm glad you're interested in applying to Queens this year. :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi and thanks for your insights, guys.

I made the 30 MCAT cut-off this year, but I've got a whacky combo of scores, so hopefully they'll meet Queen's cut-offs this year. I've got a pretty big soft spot for Queen's, strider2004, so I'd be happy to make the trek for an interview. We'll see.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest KatieKat

A rep from Queen's spoke at UBC a couple of weeks ago. He said that they screen out applicants with the bottom half of the GPA pool. Then out of they screen the remaining for MCAT scores--the top 1/2 get interviews.

He also let us know that Queen's offered 90 spots to 147 people last year, if that's any help!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey KatieKat,

Hmm, 90 spots for 147 people? You mean that 57 spots went unclaimed??? Wow!

Ha! I'm just joshing ya, there! ;)

What I think she meant was that Queen's offered 147 people the 90 spots available for this past year's class, but I'm unsure of the exact numbers. Maybe a Queen's moderator can clear this up for everyone?

Best of luck!

Timmy

• 1 month later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi again guys,

It's been a wee while, so I thought I'd check back: any word from the Queen's camps as to where the MCAT may be hanging this year? When do they normally begin determining their cut-offs; does anyone have an idea?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I can guarantee you that you won't see the UWO cut-offs posted until early Feb this year....the admissions committee won't even be setting them until very late Jan....

Hello!

Does anyone (especially the moderators) know how strict the MCAT cutoffs are for Queens? Has the school ever made exceptions for people who score maybe a point lower on just one of the cutoffs? If we don't make the cutoffs, do we automatically get disqualified or do our essays (or the rest of our application) get read anyways?

Many thanks for any sort of enlightenment! :)

Cheers!

Guest medicator007

Well i'm not a Queens moderator.. but i can tell you last year that i was off in one category by a single point and didn't get an interview at Queens. Not sure if it's relevant but i was an OOP applicant.

Medicator

Guest cgb2006

Hey medicator007:

As I'm sure you are aware, Queen's does not select its candidates using place of residence as a criteria. In fact, 29 out of 100 students in the MEDS06 class are OOPs. Once a candidate, regardless of place of residence meets the cutoff, then they would be invited for an interview. I know there were many Ontario candidates that were in similar situations to yours and were not granted interviews either. Do I agree that one point off from the cut off doesn't warrant an interview....absolutely not. But I guess they need to make the cut off somewhere. So, as medicator has alluded to, the MCAT cut offs are quite strict. The admissions site does not discuss situations in which they might overlook an MCAT aberrancy, so I can't really comment. It makes sense that they might overlook an aberrancy in dealing with an exceptional (life experience) candidate....but, that's only speculation. I really can't say, because I don't know.

Hope this helps

Can't say for sure, but because Queen's considers a lot of applicants with GPAs a bit weaker than the other schools (me included), it makes sense that the MCAT cutoffs will be very strictly followed. Anecdotal evidence, I don't know anyone in my class who scored below the cutoffs, and I know a lot of ppl who got in elsewhere easily but didn't interview here because of weird score distributions (9/13/13, for example). As before, province of residence doesn't factor in anywhere.

Thanks for your input. I'm guessing the essays/sketch won't even be read if the cutoffs aren't made and there likey isn't any chance for special considerations...

Ahh...

• 1 month later...

Hey premed and deamented,

Haven't heard anything about that two-year rule changing, but if that's what was said in the application info on the OMSAS book, I think it's still the case.

The numbers are from the Undergrad Office, just stopped in today and asked.

This is from the Queen's website, so it looks like the rule is the same as last yera.

"Students who do not meet this cutoff but whose average in the most recent two years of undergraduate study is at or above the cutoff will be included in the group to be considered for the second cutoff"

Good luck everyone!!!

Yep, it's on the official page now all right... just a bit of a thrill to beat the Undergrad Office to it. =) (Incidentally, what comes up first on a Google search for "queen's medicine"?... lol)

We're still putting together the interview packages, figuring out who in the class has decent enough places to billet all of you (well, not _all_ of you, but you know what I mean) and getting everything ready for you in March, but I think I got my interview notice around 2nd-3rd week of February.

(Edited for spelling)

From the queen's website

**The GPA cutoff is based on the cumulative average; that is, all undergraduate courses are included in the calculation of the GPA. If the applicant does not make the GPA cutoff based on their cumulative average, we will consider as an alternative the last two years of undergraduate study.

Does this mean that u need a 3.59 for the last 2 years? or some other GPA (presumably higher)?

Archived