Premed 101 Forums

trouble with housing

Guest silver

Guest silver

just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same frustrating position as me. i've tried finding a 1 bedroom apartment over the internet, but it seems all of these are going really fast. finally, i booked a trip to go out there next weekend, but i'm afraid i'll still be too late. anyone got any suggestions?

Guest Kingston

hi silver,

i'm assuming you've looked at the queen's housing list--i'd say call up some of the landlords anyway, as they often have more than one apt. building. When you get to Kingston, check the updated listing at the accommodations listing place (on University St, a brown house) and also in the JDUC (John Deutsch University Centre--the building at the corner of University and Union, across from Stauffer Library). On the JDUC lower level near the post office there's a posting board that students sometimes post housing on when they don't want to pay to list with the queen's accomm. list. The Kingston Whig-Standard is the daily newspaper--have a look in the classifieds there too.

don't be afraid to really check out the places you look at (esp. anything in a basement!). There are a number of irresponsible landlords in Kingston--make sure things are in good condition from the start, and be careful of promises to fix/change things etc. That's just a warning--there are also lots of lovely apts and decent landlords around. I hope that's what you find! good luck

Guest honeydew5

The sad truth is that there is a real crunch when it comes to housing in Kingston. In my experience, the best way to find an apartment is to do it in person, so I think planning to come to Kingston is a good idea. If possible, consider staying until a Monday, or arriving on a Friday - sometimes landlords are hard to get a hold of on the weekends. Bring your cell phone - you will need to make a lot of calls on the fly. The resources mentioned above are essential, including the Whig-Standard, which a lot of students forget about. They have a listing of classifieds on-line, so you can check them at home before you arrive. I even had to resort to walking up and down the streets and calling numbers on For Rent signs in the windows. Try not to get discouraged - you may end up a little farther away from campus than you originally wanted, but a lot of people in my class started North of Princess out of necessity, and have chosen to stay. Good Luck!

• 3 years later...

Archived