Premed 101 Forums

Short waitlist insight

Guest DownUpDown

Guest DownUpDown

If someone can offer some brief insight this would be greatly appreciated.

Say you made the top-20 cut on the short waitlist (that queen's recently compiled) -- what would your chances be? or is it too premature to tell.

Is queen's now waiting for replies from those they sent letters to off the waitlist (pre-july 3rd)? Or are there currently some empty spots but Queen's is merely waiting to straighten out some bureacracy?

thanks.

Guest TheWind

that really depends on how short the "short" wait list is?

IMO if the list is 50 that means they probably think 40-ish ppl will get it, if the list is 20 than only 15-ish

good luck

Guest DownUpDown

Thanks Wind, that logic seems to make sense.

The admissions office at Queen's has been really helpful and insightful thus far. The list is moving, slowly but surely, for those interested (5 spots).

best of luck to those still waiting.

:)

Guest DownUpDown

No, there are apparently a lot of spots. The waiting list has MOVED 5 spots though -- sorry for not being so clear.

So hang in there!

Anybody have some news they would like to share? It makes the wait easier :) ..thanks.

Not only is the admissions office pretty open about your position on the waitlist (which is so amazing!), but they also seem to have a fairly good idea about your chances of an offer and gave me that info readily when I asked for some insight.

In any case, I was told that they offer acceptances up until late August so DownUpDown, I would think that your chances are fairly good if you are in the top 20! :D

Guest DownUpDown

This week I have fallen into the top 10 (glad to hear I'm progressing forward and not behind)!!

Just out of curiosity Bee -- whereabouts do you stand and what insight did they offer you?

Furthermore, is notice of acceptance NOW sent by mail or by telephone call?

anxiously awaiting (any news from posters is reassuring and greatly appreciated!)

thanks.

Guest DownUpDown

I shouldnt make any premature comments (let this waiting game unfold)...but I expect to party very, very hard!!! My friends at western meds are telling me that they party the hardest..hope to dispell some myths and create a legend.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, we party hard. . . but I must admit I think Queens has a better set-up for partying if first year. One of the Queens moderators can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Queens schedules their "introduction to medicine" (which is often mostly review if you did biochem, microbiology, human biology, life sciences, etc.) right through december. At Western, we have only 6 weeks of intro. . . you get into the real stuff at the end of October. But we Western students still manage to find time to throw it down when we can.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you in September, or hopefully if not at we'll meet at FSS. We'll definitely be able to party there.

Guest DownUpDown

The list moved 4 spots today!!! Anne Cumpson is very, very helpful.

Give her a shout and she might give you further insight.

DownUpDown,

Mrs. Cumpson told me my position on the waitlist (before the short waitlist was compiled) and that my chances of an offer were good. The day after she told me, I got the call from her offering me a position (July 3rd) and the offer came in the mail a few days later.

Best of luck!!!!! ;)

I know the list moved a bit yesterday - they called and offered me a spot and I turned it down (already committed to U of O). That should brighten someones day.

Guest monkey

isnt July 3rd (conditional acceptance become firm) supposed to prevent those who have been accepted to other ONT schools from being considered (by remainign ONT schools)? just wondering how if you accepted UofO you were still considered by Queens.

Actually no, first round offer from U of O on June 1 which was conditionally accepted pending the outcome of the Queen's waitlist. July 4 Ottawa called to remind me that my acceptance was now firm, which is fine with me - I can't sell my house and move my family to Kingston in 6 weeks. Apparently the system has some quirks - perhaps there are more like me lingering on the waitlists that should have been removed on July 3.

Guest TheWind

Mar try calling Anne...........as the guys above said she is quite nice and she will probably tell U your place on the waitlist

good luck

Guest DownUpDown

Anne is very helpful, give her a shout.

I have just been offered admission to Queen's and will accept.

Looking forward to seeing some new faces.

Kudos to Ian Wong and his forum -- There is great cohesion on this site and the advice is priceless.

Guest TheWind

for those who are still waiting

just talked to Anne.....she will be away this week and the list will start moving next week

hope it helps and see U guys at Queens (given I can solve my money/tuition issue, otherwise I will be going to law school)

• 3 years later...

Archived