Premed 101 Forums

Medicine On-Call Question for Current Queen's Clerks

Guest foekd89

Guest foekd89

For Current Clerks: Could you please outline the differences in terms of workload/responsibilities between the following types of call:

1. Medicine ER

2. Medicine Floor

3. Cardiology

4. Subspecialty

-which one is considered the worst/most difficult?

-what time can you typically eject post-call?

-do clerks handle all admissions and floor stuff and then discuss with PGY-1, or do clerk and PGY-1 share admissions/floor problems equally?

-how many admissions per night, typically?

Thanks,

Marcellus W.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there strider2004,

Are you aware of any of your classmates who came to TO this summer to do some work in one of the Toronto wards--specifically burns? The reason I ask: two guys from Queen's incoming meds 3 recently appeared on our ward. The surgeons are quite enjoying having them around, and instead of having them hold retractors for innumerable hours, are actually getting them into the OR and doing some good stuff. Sounds like they're liking the experience too. Anyway, just an item of curiosity!

Hope all is cool,

Kirsteen

Guest strider2004

Hi Kirsteen,

I actually think about 20 or so of my classmates are in Toronto this summer doing research. The only ones I know are at St Mike's so I can't comment on the burns unit where you are. I have a pretty good idea of who wants to do what...burns...that could fall into plastics, ER....what are their names? Even initials would work.

BTW, I'm in Toronto now too :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again strider2004,

At least one of the guys--first name begins with K--is interested in pursuing gen. surg. The other's first name starts with R. (Sorry, I don't know their surnames.) They both look a little older than the average neophyte medical student.

What sort of research are you involved with this summer? Are you finding it to be a worthwhile experience?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Sarah,

I will do. I was actually blabbing with K for quite a few minutes a couple of weeks back when he came in looking for my boss. I haven't seen either one of them around in the past few days, but I'm sure they'll be back--they're both supposed to be around all summer.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest strider2004

Hi Kirsteen,

I'm doing work on primary pulmonary hypertension now. It seems that the cardiology lab I'm in has a strong respirology focus. It's all basic science research at this point.

I can think of 2 K.M's in the class and I have no idea which is in Toronto. Either way, tell them Alex says hi. R...tell him i say hi too. Geez, this is so cryptic.

• 3 years later...

Archived