Premed 101 Forums

requesting a deferral

Guest chin up

Guest chin up

I've just been accepted at Queen's (woo hoo!), but I haven't finished my undergraduate degree yet. I'm planning to apply for a deferral so I can finish that and go to Queen's in 2003.

How complicated is the application process for deferrals? What information do they require (eg. specific details about my program, how close I am in terms of credit requirements, etc)? When do they let you know?

Congratulations to everyone who's heard good news, and good luck and peace (easier said than done) to those who are still waiting...

Thanks!

Guest RAK2005

There are a limited number of deferral spots held each year for students that have special requests (eg. finishing a PhD, MSc etc.). I believe they will grant a deferral for a undergrad degree as well.

Speed of response is important in requesting a deferral as (I think) there are only 10 spots they will hold. Here is the policy on the Queen's website:

Deferred Registration

Requests for deferred registration will be considered by the Admissions Committee from highly qualified students wishing to complete the requirements for their undergraduate or graduate degree before enrolling in the School of Medicine. A maximum of ten students wishing to complete the requirements for their undergraduate or graduate degree may be accepted for deferred registration. Requests for deferral will be considered as they are received and must be received by 1 August of the year of acceptance to be considered. Normally, deferred registration will be granted for one year.

Guest chin up

Hi RAK2005, thanks for your help. I had read that on the website, but was a little confused - they mention the qualification of the candidates, but also say that applications will be "considered as they are received". While I can appreciate the need for speed either way, does this actually mean that deferrals are granted on a first-come-first-serve basis until they fill 10 spots, or does the University wait to get all applications and then consider them based on qualifications? And if their deadline is Aug 1st, when do they let you know if the deferral is granted or not?

(Sorry to barrage you like that!)

Guest RAK2005

From what I remember, they are on a first-come-first-serve basis. However I can't really speak on behalf of the administration. Finishing an UG is as valid a reason to defer as most others. That being said, they may favour deferring a PhD candidate over a BSc candidate who are competing for a final spot... Good luck with your decision.

• 4 years later...

Archived