Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

TIME STAMP: 8:28 AM

Result: Waitlisted (will remove my name)

GPA: 3.82 (cGPA), 3.91 (2YGPA)

MCAT: 13/11/12

ECs: Extensive research experience, first authoured paper, tutoring, hospital volunteering, worked with at-risk populations, exec member at a university club, awards and scholarships, etc

Interview: OK, but my worst interview. Felt like I bombed one station completely by not addressing a very importamt aspect at all.

Year: UG completed 2012

Waitlisted

GPA:

Last two years: 3.79

cGPA: 3.54

MCAT: PS- 12 VR- 12 BS- 14

ECs: Lots of long term leadership in athletics (founded a non-profit league/association, lots of coaching and training), dancing (competitive and leisurely), leadership/founding positions for various clubs, tutoring, peer mentoring, hospital volunteering, a lot of work with children and some research with 1 abstract and 1 publication

Interview: Panel was great, very casual and friendly. The MMI had some great stations and some that I felt, after much contemplation, I could have said more for. Felt great coming out... but maybe not?

Good luck to everyone waiting and congrats on those accepted!

Can't believe I'm posting this.. Took me a while to get around to it since I'm in total celebration mode. May 13 was honestly the best day of my entire life.

RESULT: Accepted!!!

GPA:

Last two years: Not entirely sure.. Only one course with an A-, the rest were higher.

cGPA: 3.54 (same as poster above, lol). Got an F and a D in first semester.

MCAT: PS- 13 VR- 13 BS- 12

ECs: Typical hospital ones (few years), itsy bitsy amount of research, and lots of work experience. Graduated last year and have just been working.

Interview: I felt pretty bad about the MMI. Even though I held it together, the stations weren't what I was expecting. The panel did go well though with lots of laughter. Felt comfortable and got to talk about all my significant experiences. All I can tell you from this is your post-interview feelings are meaningless.

I have not officially accepted the offer yet as I'm waiting to hear what UBC says tomorrow. It could be a really tough decision for me as UBC fits better practically but I just fell in love with Queen's and Kingston.

My sis even special ordered me cupcakes in the colours of Queen's crest. lol.

EDIT: For the waitlisters, I will be declining my offer at Queen's to accept at UBC. I will do this probably Monday (just working on some banking issues since my bank doesn't do online interac) or basically as soon as possible.

Result: Accepted (also accepted at Toronto, western, and Calgary)

First time applying, only applied to Calgary and Ontario since I don't meet most of the course requirements for other schools.

Interview Date: March 3th, 2014; Liked the panel and the MMI, although I disliked the MMI set up. There were often 2 interviewers in each room and they would talk as I was outside reading the prompt, which was distracting.

Program: MD

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: verbal -11, Phy -12, Bio -13

ECs: Very heavily involved with one organization I'm very passionate about. Worked in engineering jobs.

Year: UG

Geography: Alberta

I did an Engineering degree in Alberta, and have worked in engineering companies. I didn't decide on medicine until recently, so I didn't have much research experience nor hospital volunteer experience, but pursued other interests I'm passionate about. Looks like it worked out! :)

• 2 weeks later...

TIME STAMP: 3:10 (Today)

Result: Acceptance

wGPA: 3.8

MCAT: 32

ECs: Martial arts, swimming, weightlifting, intramurals, leadership, volunteering, working, etc

Interview: Panel felt good, MMI I felt great about half, the others were a toss up

Year: Finished my 5th year, graduating in June (1st application cycle)

Geography: IP

Edit: I was losing my mind checking pm101 and my email all day. I decided to take a break from that and focus on doing some O-chem review for my MCAT. Once I finished I figured I would check my email again and I saw the email! Amazing. Thank you to everyone here who've helped me out and made this place the community it is.

Can't believe I am finally posting this!!! This is my third application cycle, was on the verge of losing hope..

TIME STAMP: 2:55 PM May 27

Result: Acceptance off waitlist

GPA: 3.79 OMSAS, don't know if used weighted or not

MCAT: 34S (11P, 13B, 10V)

ECs: Lots of research (completing M.Sc.), dance, volunteering local and global, various leadership positions...

Interview: some of the MMI stations felt great, a few didn't go so well. Panel was very warm and friendly.

Year: finishing M.Sc.

Geography: IP

Was just accepted at 2:13PM via e-mail off the waitlist!

TIME STAMP: 2:13 PM, June 3rd, 2014

Result: Offer of Admission (After being rejected, then invited to interview, then waitlisted)

wGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 36R (BS 15/VR 10/PS 11)

ECs: Lots of research, personal fitness trainer, powerlifter, short story author, plus the usual stuff

Year: Finishing up an MSc

Georgraphy: IP

Was accepted off the waitlist last week. Just deferred until next year so there should still be at least one spot still open.

TIME STAMP: June 3rd, 2014

Result: Acceptance

cGPA: 3.7ish, Grad GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 14/12/14

ECs: Long term commitments to fairly standard premed activities. Lots of grad school stuff (TA, awards, abstracts, etc).

Interview: Felt mixed about the MMI. Panel felt fantastic.

Year: PhD

Accepted off the wait-list today at 12:13 PM.

GPA: approx 3.9 (weighted)

MCAT: 12/11/10 S

ECs: Lots of research (10 papers published, 20+ conference presentations); journal peer-reviewer; standard hospital volunteering; provincial level athletics; student politics

Year: 3rd year PhD (will defend within the next 6 weeks)

Interview: Panel was terrific; MMI was hit and miss

Emotional status: Maximally excited and relieved! My MCAT score had expired and I had already started reviewing the material for a re-write...

Good luck to those still waiting.

Accepted off the wait-list today at 12:33pm.

GPA: ~3.8

MCAT: 11/11/14

ECs: Lots of coaching and sports (rec to national), unique hospital volunteering, minimal research

Year: Finished undergrad in 2013

Interview: MMI felt great, nerves got the better of me in the panel interview

Emotional status: currently still in shock, was completing documents to start my masters.

• 10 months later...

TIME STAMP: 09:04
Result: Waitlisted
cGPA: 3.97
MCAT: all 13s
ECs: Research (2 NSERCs, first author poster at neuroscience conference), exec on a few clubs, member of a few more clubs, 1yr hospital volunteering, 2y homework help volunteering, couple years exam review presentations, undergrad TA'ing, shadowed a surgery & an internal med shift, member of rock band in high school, 3yr guitar instruction, couple cashier jobs part time, couple scholarships.
Interview: Thought I smoked the MMI, but I could tell the panel and I just weren't clicking.
Year: Final year UG

I will be accepting an offer at another school, so good luck to the other waitlisters!

Time stamp: 8:59

Result: Accepted
cGPA: 3.9
MCAT: 30+
ECs: Nothing extraordinary, but most of them are really long term commitments. 
Interview: Thought one MMI station was awful, but I guess it worked out! 
Year: 4th year

Was honestly not expecting this since getting into Queen's always felt like an impossible feat! Will likely decline this in favour of another school. 

Time stamp: 9:02AM

Result:  Accepted

cGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 13/11/13

ECs: Fairly strong and diverse

Year: 3rd year UG

Interview: I thought it went pretty poorly, at least compared to what I hoped and other schools. I suppose that some interviewers deliberately gave us a hard time to test us.

Time Stamp: 9:04AM

Result: Waitlisted

cGPA: 3.71

MCAT: 11/10/10

ECs: Lots of research with publications, medical travel volunteer, club executive, and lots of other stuff

Year: 5th year non-degree

Interview: Thought it was okay, was really happily surprised with this outcome!

Hoping to get off the wait list and accept Queen's!