Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 9:32 am

2YRS: 4.0

MCAT: 127/127/132/132

ECs: Lots of really good stuff I am proud of, and solid enough for EC heavy schools

Interview: Thought it was the worst of my four. I felt I had one really poor station but that the rest were decent. 

In-person or Virtual: In-person

Year: 4th

Geography: IP

Will be removing myself from the waitlist. I sincerely wish everyone still waiting the very best of luck. 

Accepted :) 

Time stamp: 9:31am EST
2 yr GPA: 3.92
MCAT: 128/129/129/130 (516)
ECs: Diverse and long term... sports, employment, school clubs, research, volunteering, etc. (PM for details if curious!)
Interview: Felt the best about this one, I was fortunate to get an in-person interview instead of virtual one and felt that I connected with a few interviewers during the MMI and panel
Year: 4th year UG

Geography: IP

Timestamp: 9:32 AM 

cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 518; 130/127/131/130

ECs: residence advisor (3y), research volunteer (clinical and basic science), exec on many clubs, lots of other stuff 

Interview: answered everything genuinely and honestly - messed up 2 stations, 1 was meh - the others went fine; panel was the best part of my interview

In-person or Virtual: in-person 

Year: Graduated 2019 - gap year

Geography: From Kingston/attended queen's for undergrad 

removing myself from waitlist

1 hour ago, Jummyneutrondexter said:

It looks like they chose out of the first weekend and then picked the top from the second weekend (people with panels).

A big let down as it sounded like panels were synonymous with offers or at most waitlist

There was no benefit to having an in-person interview. 

3 minutes ago, tea-otter said:

Rejected. Had online panel. Feel so lost right now, I thought I had at least waitlist in the bag and performed really well at the interview... 

Once I pick myself up off the floor I'll have to start considering next steps.. 

Sorry to hear that. Don't give up!

Waitlisted

Time stamp: 9:32am EST
cGPA: 3.68
MCAT: 128/129/130/128 (515)
ECs: sports (leadership roles), research (abstracts mainly), volunteering (diverse, long-term)
Interview: In person, most stations felt pretty good but messed up one for sure
Year: 4th year UG

ACCEPTED!!! Holy crap I can't believe this, I'm completely numb right now. 

cGPA: 3.75, 2YR: 3.9
MCAT: 131/127/130/125 (513)
ECs: A lot of work (I graduated in 2018 from my Master's degree), been working in R&D since. Hospital volunteering, Research (senior thesis and 2 summers), lots of community volunteer work too. (No sports/athletics at all)
Interview: Online. I thought the MMI was okay, most of the stations felt okay but it was awkward talking to a screen. Panel felt so strange as they stone faced me. 
Year: BHSc, MSc, working for 2 years. 

It took 3 applications, 3 cracks at the MCAT, 2 interviews over two years. If any future applicants read this I absolutely know your struggle and this feeling is so freaking worth it. I hope the best for everyone, I will be accepting this offer :)

Result: Accepted!!!!!

Timestamp: 9:31 AM EST

cGPA: 3.82

MCAT: 522; 130/130/130/132

ECs: lots of leadership/mentorship/TA experiences; 3 years research (no pubs); ~300hrs clinical volunteering&shadowing; included hobbies & life experiences too

Interview: prepared a lot for the MMI but didn't feel great after it; I was lucky enough to get an online panel and felt really good about that one. 

In-person or Virtual: Virtual

Year: Graduated w B.A. in 2019 - gap year

Geography: OOP!!

I'm mostly in shock but so excited to attend Queen's! Sending lots of love to those who didn't receive the news they wanted today, and sending hope to people on the waitlist! <3 

2YRS: 3.78?

MCAT: 130/127/129/129 (515)

ECs: RN for 4 years (2 years in ICU), lots of club and volunteer experience in university, music/orchestra, some research, travel

Interview: not the best, def messes up on two stations. Panel was difficult to tell since the interviewers were expressionless.

Year: Non-trad

Geography: OOP

ACCEPTED!

cGPA: 3.86
MCAT: 128/128/130/130 (516)
ECs1+ year medical office assistant, 3+ years cancer research with two pending pubs, VP for 2 university clubs, 2 personal start-up businesses, average awards (just undergraduate academic awards), multiple academic tutor/mentor experiences
Interview: In-person
Year: Graduated w/ BSc in 2018, currently working

After 4 years of applying (2nd time interviewing at Queens) and an expiring MCAT score this year...I can't believe I got an offer!!! 

Result: ACCEPTED!!!

Timestamp: 9:00-ish am

2YRS: 3.96 (my cGPA was embarrassingly low -- so Queens definitely gives you a chance to grow, mature and show how you've grown to be the person you are today!

MCAT: 130/128/129/129

ECs: I think it was pretty well-rounded - but nothing mind-blowing (at least in my books).

MMI Interview: I liked the content of what I said, but my delivery was all over the place! I was so nervous. 

Panel: I got pressed on certain things, but overall it was a great 15 min :) 

In-person or Virtual: Virtual

Year: post undergrad

I'll be accepting this offer!!! Can't wait to meet the class of 2024!! Good luck to everyone on the wait-list! Do not give up on your dreams, if this is truely how you think your interests, strengths and experiences are best served. :) 

1 hour ago, ptRN said:

2YRS: 3.78?

MCAT: 130/127/129/129 (515)

ECs: RN for 4 years (2 years in ICU), lots of club and volunteer experience in university, music/orchestra, some research, travel

Interview: not the best, def messes up on two stations. Panel was difficult to tell since the interviewers were expressionless.

Year: Non-trad

Fellow RN here, also got waitlisted, got off the waitlist though ;). Fingers crossed for you!!! <3

Edit: Actually got the email of getting off of the waitlist while I was at work, on one of the busiest shifts I'd had in a while :).

Result: Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) - Will be declining, reason below

Timestamp: 9:31am

2YRS: 3.98

MCAT: 520

ECs: Felt like it was well rounded in each of the sections. Did a lot of clubs and research. 

Interview: Was rough but I guess turned out okay!!! (in-person)

Year: 4th year  

Geography: IP

Will be Accepting Western over McMaster because of the terrible job McMaster has done with admissions this year and I don't want specialty/residency schools to look down upon me as being part of the "lottery" class in the future.

I'm taking Western over Queens because a smaller town like Kingston will not have as many opportunities down the road for specialties. I also don't like the long-distance commuting to hospitals in areas around Kingston since they have very few hospitals. 

Good luck everyone!