Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 8:46 EST

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.95+, honestly I didn't look that much into calculating it LOL

MCAT: 522 (131/129/132/130)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: MMI was half decent. I was a bit nervous that I dropped a few red flags but I guess not! The panel was quite nice, really connected with the interviewers.

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Sat Mar 27

ECs:  2 years of undergrad research, a few pubs (one second author), some university societies. My non-academic score was pretty low at other schools I applied to and didn't get accepted/interviewed at so I'm surprised!

Year: 4th

Geography: OOP

edit: I will probably not be accepting as I was also accepted to Mac!

Timestamp: 8:46am EST

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 521

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Felt confident about MMI, I was iffy about panel but the interviewers were definitely smiley!

Panel Date: Saturday March 27

ECs: Research, on campus and off campus volunteering and some athletics!

Year: Graduating from my fourth year now!

Geography: IP

This is a dream come true. I will likely be accepting this offer... so excited!!!!

Timestamp: 8:46

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.91 (2 years)

MCAT: 515 (128/128/131/128)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Felt pretty good about the MMI but my panel felt like a grilling session for sure. I thought they hated me. 

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Saturday March 27th

ECs: long term volunteering at a cultural centre, lot's of leadership positions through clubs and organizations at school, and a decent amount of community involvement.

Year: 4th year undergrad

I will probably be accepting this offer! Very excited to meet the class of 2025 :) 

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.63 (Yes, it's possible!)/3.83

MCAT: 518 (130/127/130/131)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: I felt reaaaalllly unsure about the second half of the MMI. The first half I thought I was on top of, but I remember not feeling great about how I handled the second half. The panel, on the other hand, I thought was amazing. I felt that I really connected well with my interviewers and it was like having a conversation over drinks at a bar lol.

ECs:  A lot. Been working in research for almost 3 years, a medical clinic for one, lots of volunteer activities/extracurriculars I've been involved with, particularly around mentorship and global health. Also had a number of activities/hobbies listed. Happy to share details for those interested

Year: 2 years post-Master's

I'm completely numb. Also posted in another thread, but I find myself in the crazy position of having more than one offer. After 4 years straight of pre-interview rejections, I never dreamed to find myself in this position. My sole focus was trying to get in anywhere lol. I think I'll probably have to spend the full two weeks deciding where I'll go. Excited at the thought of having some of you as colleagues in the near future!

5 minutes ago, PopShoppe said:

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.63 (Yes, it's possible!)/3.83

MCAT: 518 (130/127/130/131)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: I felt reaaaalllly unsure about the second half of the MMI. The first half I thought I was on top of, but I remember not feeling great about how I handled the second half. The panel, on the other hand, I thought was amazing. I felt that I really connected well with my interviewers and it was like having a conversation over drinks at a bar lol.

ECs:  A lot. Been working in research for almost 3 years, a medical clinic for one, lots of volunteer activities/extracurriculars I've been involved with, particularly around mentorship and global health. Also had a number of activities/hobbies listed. Happy to share details for those interested

Year: 2 years post-Master's

I'm completely numb. Also posted in another thread, but I find myself in the crazy position of having more than one offer. After 4 years straight of pre-interview rejections, I never dreamed to find myself in this position. My sole focus was trying to get in anywhere lol. I think I'll probably have to spend the full two weeks deciding where I'll go. Excited at the thought of having some of you as colleagues in the near future!

Major congrats mate, was rooting for you this year! Super well deserved, real happy to hear this was finally your year :)

Result: Accepted! 

Timestamp: 8:46 AM

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.52/3.75

MCAT: 125/130/130/131

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: I thought the MMI went well, and I had made it to panel last year too. Last year's panel I think I fully botched. This one went better, but it seemed a bit cold and there were some technical blips. That said, I've been told by mentors that my interview skills are very strong, so maybe my self-assessment was too harsh here. 

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Saturday in the afternoon. 

ECs: Numerous (I filled it out completely), diverse, long term. Very little research experience. PM me for details. 

Year: Post grad, currently working full time. 

Geography: IP

After the sting of last year's rejection and the dreaded certainty that I was going to get another this year, along with the fact that I'm a non trad applicant... I'm ecstatic. And also still pinching myself. Is this real life? 

I can't wait to meet my Qmed family! Congrats to everyone who got in, and for those of you who didn't get the news you were hoping for today: don't give up. Keep trying. Med school isn't going anywhere and "not this year" doesn't meant "never". 

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.88/Haven't Calculated

MCAT: 518 (129/128/130/131)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Felt like I had a strong performance at both interviews! (I am also someone who just generally enjoys interviewing, so it is a strong suit of mine)

Panel Date: Sat March 27

Year: Just graduated

I will be declining Queen's offer and instead accepting another Canadian Med School - all the best to those on the waitlist! Crossing my fingers for you :)

Result: Waitlisted

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.96/- 

MCAT: 520 (130/128/132/130) 

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: I felt like I was at the top of my game for the MMI. While the panel interview started kind of bad, I think it eventually got better and better with a strong finish. 

Year: 3

Surprisingly even though Queen's is OOP for me, I really do want to go! Does anyone happen to know how the waitlist moves? Weekly batches? 

Result: Waitlisted (Accepted May 26 off the waitlist)

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.7~ 

MCAT: 510 (127/127/128/128) 

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: I though the MMI went fairly well. I never was like AH. But I also black outed after so...:D. Panel was hard to tell... they kinda stone faced me but I gave really honest answers and thought I was really myself.  

Year: post masters

PRAYING FOR WL MOVEMENT and for everyone with A's super super proud of you all 

EDIT: After applying 676897 times this is a DREAM come true. 

Result: Waitlisted

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.68/3.82

MCAT: 514 (125/130/127/132)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: MMI went really well I thought! Felt that my panel was slightly cringy, but it's because I was nervous haha.

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Sun Mar 28

ECs:  Thesis publication, a couple of posters/panel presentations, played several competitive sports, volunteered for mental health and global health organizations, volunteer music teacher, shadowing experience

Year: currently in my Master's

Geography: IP

Was accepted at Mac, so likely going to take that offer if I dont hear from Queen's soon!

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.01/3.9

MCAT: 509(125/129/127/128) 

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: I thought both went really well

Panel Date: Sun March 28

Year: Completed MHSc in 2018, did an additional year of undergrad courses in 2019, been working full time in research for the past 2 years

Geography: From Ontario, currently living in the US

Result: Accepted!! OMG after 4 cycles! This was my only interview this cycle!

Timestamp: 8:46 am EST

2YRS GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 128/128/128/128

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Felt okay about my MMI but felt pretty good after my panel.

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Sunday, March 28th

ECs: Piano, exec for 2 clubs, worked as personal trainer and sports nutritionist, hospital volunteering, software company internship, competitive dance, 1 first author pub, international clinical conference presentation

Year: Graduated in 2017

2 minutes ago, convertedlurker said:

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Felt okay about my MMI but felt pretty good after my panel.

ECs: Piano, exec for 2 clubs, worked as personal trainer and sports nutritionist, hospital volunteering, software company internship, competitive dance, 1 first author pub, international clinical conference presentation

YES!!!!!!!! This is AMAZING. Congrats x 1000000

11 minutes ago, convertedlurker said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D:D:D  I was rooting for you and @Mozza !!

18 minutes ago, Scrubadubdub said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D:D:D  I was rooting for you and @Mozza !!

OMG the 2020 Western Waitlist squad is going big places! I just saw that you were accepted too! So happy for you! This day is turning out amazing. Btw I also started undergrad in 2011. Perseverance pays off man. Proud of us! :D

Edit: @Mozzayou got Western too?! Ahh I wish our 2020 summer selves could see us now! Congrats! :D

40 minutes ago, convertedlurker said:

OMG the 2020 Western Waitlist squad is going big places! I just saw that you were accepted too! So happy for you! This day is turning out amazing. Btw I also started undergrad in 2011. Perseverance pays off man. Proud of us! :D

Edit: @Mozzayou got Western too?! Ahh I wish our 2020 summer selves could see us now! Congrats! :D

Thank you soo much! Congrats to you both as well! :) I’m happy we all made it to the other side together! :D  @Scrubadubdub

6 hours ago, TheFlyGuy said:

Major congrats mate, was rooting for you this year! Super well deserved, real happy to hear this was finally your year :)

Thanks dude/dudette! Really appreciate the kind words :)

Honestly super thankful for all the supportive people that I've gotten to meet and chat with on here and for all those who have given me advice over the years.

Result: Accepted ( I can't believe I'm writing this)

Timestamp: 8:46

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: cGPA 3.66/ 2 years? (Masters GPA was 3.96)

MCAT: 125/128/127/130

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Felt great about my MMI. Panel was very casual and there was lots of laughter.  They were very interested in my profession.

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Saturday

ECs: Have been working in community care and hospital-based acute care for 5 years. Established programs in home community. Lots of involvement in mentorship and working with high school and undergrad students.

Year: graduated my Masters in 2015. I am a wizened crone lol

I keep rereading my email. So excited to meet you all!

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.69 / 3.69 (Yeah I was as surprised at you to get an interview with a sub 3.7 GPA)

MCAT: 518 (130/130/128/130) 

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Messed up one station on the MMI by misinterpreting part of the prompt and only realized it afterwards when I was mulling over my answers. Panel went really well and felt like I connected with both panelists while being able to convey everything I wanted

Year: 4th year UG

As parting words I would like to say that although it is incredibly hard to see the positive for those on the WL or those who were R, everything happens for a reason. Last year I was WL at McMaster as part of the lottery cohort, however, by not being accepted off the WL last year, I got to enjoy my final year of UG with my friends and colleagues. I will now get to hopefully have a "normal" medical school experience as COVID cases continue to decline over the next few months, while those accepted last year basically did Zoom Med School. Someone once told me a quote that I'll never forget and I hope you find some peace in it just like I did: Everything works out in the end, and if everything hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end!

For those of you on the WL, I will likely be rejecting my offer in favour of McMaster. Good luck!

Timestamp: 8:46 AM EST

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 132/130/132/132

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: MMI felt really bad so I was surprised to even get a panel invite. Had the interview after a really intense week of midterms so I felt like my answers had no energy and were just very bland overall. Panel felt good though!

Will be removing myself from the waitlist! Good luck everyone :)

Result: Accepted!!! 

4YRS GPA: 3.85

MCAT: 526 (132/131/132/131)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: MMI felt pretty average, panel felt amazing. The interviewers were extremely warm and we had a great conversation. 

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Saturday, Mar 27th

ECs:  Varied. A few years of research with one publication, teaching assistant, residence advisor, childcare instructor, hostess, security guard, ice cream maker (lol). Lots of extracurriculars including leadership positions in research club + music club, founder of a research-based student event at UBC, volunteer at yoga studio, pianist in a band, etc. 

Year: Graduated from undergrad in May 2020, been doing psychiatry research for one year.

I am thrilled to have received an offer, but will (hopefully) be declining if I get into UBC. Fingers crossed I will be able to give my spot to somebody on the waitlist! :)