Premed 101 Forums

Anything we should know before interviews?

Guest MAR

I have been doing a lot of preparation for my interview but have found some information difficult to find, specifically about Queens itself.

I first visited Queens when I was in grade 13, and really liked what I saw. However, I have not read up much on it since because I didn't think it was a realistic option because I thought you had to be the best to get in. To my pleasant surprise (and disappointment because I didn't apply there last year) I found out that last year I would have made the cutoffs.

Is there anyone out there that can advise me on what I should know or do before the interview. I am coming up for the whole weekend and hope to make the most of it.

Hi MAR

I actually am at Queens year 4 med. I can tell you if you got an interview you have a really good shot of getting in. If you could tell me a bit about your background, ie major, GPA, activities, research, employment, life experiences, I can tell you the exact types of questions they will ask you during the interview (I actually sat on interviewing committee for the last two years as the med student interviewer) I know how they will steer the questions and talior them towards your particular story, so let me know about you and I will give you the specific types of questions you will see.

Just another question, did you complete a 3 yr or a 4 yr degree?

Hope to see a post from you soon,and well take it from there

Shelly

Guest queens hopeful

Hi Shelly,

I also have an interview at Queen's coming up, and I was wondering if I could also get some advice for the interview ... i'm currently attending Queen's in the life sciences program .... maybe if you could post your e-mail address i could send you a msg telling you more about myself ...

thanks

Hi Shelly

Thank you for your offer. Don't worry about the spelling. The spell checker is my best friend.

I am 32 so have a lot of back ground. You may have guessed that by the fact that I did grade 13 and not OAC. It might be better to e-mail the information to you.

Thanks

MAR

HI MAR

I will provide you with an email address where you can forward your specific story and I'll tell ya what kind of questions will be specifically extracted from your activities. Try to include as much as you can as it will help me determine what areas they may target more deeply (ie taking a half course load, taking some time off to travel or help a sick one, employment etc, major,volunteer,research etc)

Thanks MAR I know this is a stressful time but trust me you will do great,great, great!

you can contact me as shellymeds@aol.com

Take care MAR

Shelly

Guest MellowYellow

I have couple questions about Queen's Interview as well... I was told that they don't ask questions on Ethics, is that true?

Also besides the usual "what can you offer to Queen's", what kind of "curveball" questions will they throw at us? I ask this because a friend of mine was asked last year "Who was the prime minister of Canada in 1943?", which he didn't know

Guest strider2004

Sometimes questions are asked not to get a correct answer, but to see how you deal with the question. Ethics questions aren't supposed to be asked but if you bring one up, then it's fair game. In general, we just want to get to know you and see what drives you, what motivates you. In psychiatric terms, it's nice to see a full affect that's mood congruent and appropriate. It's also in poor standing to present any suicidal or homicidal ideation.

Guest Thomas05

In regards to the interview itself, I don't think any interviewer is purposely out to get you by asking you tough questions. I'm actually in Queen's 1st year meds, and from experience, all the interviewers really want to know is who you are as a person. That may come in the form of questions about your autobiographical sketch, or what qualities you think would make a good physician, or unrelated questions that is meant to bring out your personality during the interview. Even if they ask you a historical/factual question that you don't know, you're not going to be given a low score because you don't know the answer. Be honest, and just be yourself. My interview took a mid-way turn towards ethics, and at first I felt a little disconcerted, but I gave the question some thought, and answered it honestly and to the best of my ability.

You never know what you'll get in terms of questions, so stay composed, and (I know you've heard this before) BE YOURSELF. No one can do a better job at that than you.

Good luck!

Thomas

Guest downupdown

I couldnt help but notice the sheer generosity of that last post, Shelly. For that matter, and only at your confirmation, I would love to take advantage of the offer.

Applying to medical school is a process that dips into the realm of unfamiliarity. As prospective students, we grabble to come to terms with ourself in the process and with the process itself.

Any help is much appreciated. We have come this far as applicants, and want to ensure we are fully prepared for what lies ahead.

best,

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the forums! I share your belief, which is that the most important part of the interview is to be yourself! Ultimately, the interview is about you, and not the interviewer. The whole point of the session is to figure out what personality, skills, and background you would bring to the incoming class, rather than how much you know about someone's clinical or research background. :)

Shelly, welcome also to the forums. How has the whole CaRMS process been treating you, and what sort of things do you wish you had known when you were back in first or second year meds?

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Hi Ian I entered the CaRMS first iteration (obviously as Ontario Medical School Graduate) and I will find out about my match status on March 11 (please,please,please through) My choices by rank were

1. Neurosurgery (Adult)

2. Ped Neurology

3. Neurology (Adult)

As you know CaRMS is an algorithm based program that imputs all the applicants and matches them according to the rank of the applicants done by the available residency positions. It then spits out the successful 1st iteration applicants. I'm kind off worried because my choices dont have the best match rates (hovering around 29% for the highest), I also haven't won too many awards, so I really dont know how competitive I will be. I really should have thown in Gyno or Family just to secure something, now I may be subject to the unmatched 2nd iteration and may end up in rural or lab genetics or something . Oh well we will see. A strong point in my favour is some research I undertook in the second summer (1st author publication :) ) and my strong reviews for my clerkship in surg and in particular, really clicking with the guys in neuro! I'll keep you posted Ian

Take care all

Shelly

Hi Shelly,

It is very nice of you to offer help for this last hurdle of the long and nebulous admissions process. If it's okay with you, I would appreciate some of your advice as this is my first medical school interview. Queen's is my first choice and I would really really like to nail the interview.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sumi

Hey after all we are in the business of helping people, I think that should include your fellow doctors. i dont like hyper competitive people and I think its important to share knowledge that may benefit others in essentially shaping their lives and careers. Downupdown you can email me as well and I will try to help you out the best I can!

Good Luck

Shelly

Guest TimmyMax

Hi Shelley,

Thank you very much for helping so many of us- it sheds a lot of light on your character in terms of helping people- seems like you're in the right field!

At the same time, can you find the time to help one more of us lowly wannabes? :)

Even if you can't, that's very understandable. Thank you in advance!

Tim

Yep Timmymax just email me your background info and I will try to get back to by tommorow. For those of you who haven't gotten a response yet, I will be sure to give a reply by tommorow for your interviews. Sorry guys I'm just really busy and I want to take the time to provide specific info that will help each and everyone of you. shellymeds@aol.com

To all those that do have interviews Good Luck, shelly rooting for ya!!!!

Take Care

Shelly

Hey Shelley,

I agree with everyone else - it's really generous of you to offer to give prospective med students some advice regarding their interviews.

I was wondering if you would mind one more student? :)

yingw

Archived