Premed 101 Forums

Scoring

Guest JIMBO

Anyone involved in the interviewer's process know what the marking scheme is for Queen's? ex. leadership, volunteer work, achievements, and other criteria

I know that after you receive an interview, 50% counts on what you wrote in your essays and 50% on the interview. Do the same group of people who interview you read your essays and mark it, or is it some other group?

Thanks

Guest RAK2005

Well, here is what I know:

3 people contribute scores to the interview, which is 50 % of the overall mark. After this process, 3 DIFFERENT people independently go over your application and award it a score, which is the other half. As to the specific criteria, I don't know, but my guess it would assess the areas you mentioned. You PIF will also play a big part in your score.

Guest strider2004

It's all relative. It doesn't really matter what your score is because it just needs to be in the top 130 or so(out of 400) to get a seat in the class. This is just my way of saying that I don't know.

Hey.. 130 out of 400 people? Those are some nice odds.

Just think, you've wittled your odds down to 3:1 from 12:1. :)

I know that the interview process is designed to try to pick the most suitable applicants, but how significant do you think luck works out to be in the admissions process? (eg, luck in getting the interviewers you connect with, luck not waking up on the wrong side of the bed that morning, etc etc).

Guest bad hombre

I've talked to a few people in queens meds, both 1st and second year, and the general concenssus (sp?) is that once you get the interview, it's almost 100% luck, unless your ec's really, really suck.

Guest Jase133

Well then, it is nice to know that quality of applicant has nothing to do with getting in at Queen's. =) I may actually have a chance then!

Honestly though, you would think that with them standardizing the marks for each set of interviewers that would cut it. There really is a discrepancy in the quality of the interviewers at Queen's.

Guest strider2004

You can think of it like the Olympics. You can trained for years but when the day comes, you're got one chance to prove yourself. Sometimes you're unlucky and fall in the first 4 strides but most of the time your hard work pays off.

Keeping the Olympics theme plus bad hombre's theory in mind... you've got one chance to prove yourself, and sometimes even when you DO demonstrate your worthiness, the crappiness of the judg.. er, interviewers messes everything up and your spot ends up being given to a less worthy candidate.

Damn Eastern Bloc voting! Not that I'm bitter... :rolleyes

Guest Downupdown

It seems everything is subjectively viewed nowadays. I can think of one main issue: Health-care in Canada!!

Anyways, I was just wondering how much of an influence on the decision-making process our autobiographic sketch and answers to the questions Queen's posed have. That is, what exactly will they be looking for? Sincerity? Work-related Experience? Volunteer Experience?

Or is it just used to help decide what sort of questions to ask the candidate in the interview (perhaps not, as I believe a different set of members looks at the written part).

I heard someone mention that they had grammatical errors but this was overlooked as they now sit in Queen's med. I too have a few grammatical errors (nothing serious, but one's I'm kicking myself over).

Anyways. I think since nobody knows what to expect and to calm their nerves, we are hoping that there is somewhat of an objective approach. A tried-tested-and-true formula that could possibly increase our chances.

Rather than another lottery...

btw, all this chat has been very insightful. It's nice to know there's a community of individuals out there, willing to help their fellow human. And rest assured, I'll stick my neck out as well, if need be...

;)

Guest Applicant1

DownUpDown,

I wouldn't count on the community member as being objective. A lot of times they are close associates/relatives to the faculty member. They aren't exactly your typical Kingston citizen.

Guest Sideways

Community member?

lol! Community of individuals=all of those that have contributed to this site.

In no way was I referring to the community member on the committee. But thanks for your insight.

Anyways, does anyone have a response for the upper-portion of the message?

• 4 years later...

Archived