Premed 101 Forums

Writing MCAT > 3X

scarface

Here's some food for thought. From now on you won't need special permission to write the MCAT more than three times. And nearly every school in Canada only looks at your most recent MCAT. So what's to prevent someone from writing this exam again and again until they get the mark they want? Sure, you save time and $$$ (not to mention pain and agony) doing it once and doing it right, but you have nothing to lose by rewriting if you don't do well on your previous attempts. And I'm sure there are people out there willing to write this exam 10+ times if it means making the Queens or Western cutoff.

And what about the test prep companies who hire students with photographic memories to "steal" test materials (I consider this a felony as its theft of intellectual property, but let's not even get into a discussion about ethics)? I believe that was the reason for the 3x max rule.

I'm under the impression that writing more that 3 times with proper studying will show the best of your abilities anyway. Because the MCAT is generally a test of critical thinking, after studying three times for it (assuming the student actually does an appropriate amount of preparation) a student's marks wont improve significantly (althought I'm not 100% sure of that--it's just what I was told)

:eek: :eek::):)

REALLY????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the AAMC REALLY, TRULLY, SINCERELY dropping the 3x rule???!!!

(My hunch has always told me that AAMC might drop the 3x rule with the introduction of the CBT cuz it kinda flows with the many sittings now available year round...it seems that I'm right!)

Please someone confirm what the thread starter said!!!

I knew someone who wrote it 4 times.

These were his scores.

6,7,7 = 20 P (He never studied for this one...idiot)

9,10,9 = 28 Q

10,9,11 = 3O S (Did not get in so worked for 2 yrs)

12, 13, 12 = 35 S (studied for a year to improve his reading speed)

One persistent SOB.:P

Ur scores won't improve if u don't do something about it. Just rewriting it and hoping u will score better is not the answer

And what about the test prep companies who hire students with photographic memories to "steal" test materials (I consider this a felony as its theft of intellectual property, but let's not even get into a discussion about ethics)? I believe that was the reason for the 3x max rule.

sick! Test prep companies hiring people to steal materials? I mean I shouldn't be that surprised and yet I am. Would these be the more reputable kaplan and tpr, or fly-by-night organizations that are just out to scam your money?

And yes you can write the MCAT more than three times (I mean in the past). As the previous poster mentioned their friend who wrote 4 times, you just need a letter stating that you've been rejected. From the AAMC website:

"You must apply for special permission to take the MCAT if you have attended three or more MCAT administrations since 1977 (whether or not the test was completed and/or answer documents were voided). Individuals who sit for the MCAT should be preparing to apply to a health professions school.

Your request should include evidence of intent to apply to a health professions school (e.g., a completed application, letter of rejection, or letter from a medical school or advisor), which must accompany the registration materials. This documentation is required each time you wish to retest."

So while I'm sure that there is a limit they place on the amount of times you write it, technically if you write it every year and keep getting rejected (:( ) then you could write as many times as you want - years even!

• 5 months later...

If you are worried about writing the MCAT multiple times. DONT BE. I applied to the states after I took the MCAT 4 times and I have had success.

Mind you, some American schools have looked at me in a negative light. And I would not recommend you go into the test with an attitude that "I can write as many times as you want", because its not only looked bad upon but the test can drain your lifespan like the Wraith on SG-Atlantis lol :P.

But, if you are forced to write it again....there are success stories out there like me.

Canadian schools as far as I am aware dont care if you took the MCAT multiple times...but if you dont get that 10 on VR, its sianara anyways.

Yeah, but isn't the exam different each time?

Archived