Premed 101 Forums

Help Please!!

1. Which science program to choose is the easiest and quickest way to get into UBC Med?

2. If I had a B.S in another university in biological chemistry, but somehow wished to do a 2nd degree in UBC or SFU, are there any restrictions on the degree that I choose? Any advice?

Thank you

1. Which science program to choose is the easiest and quickest way to get into UBC Med?

How can you say that? Obviously, a true premed would choose the longest and most difficult path to medicine. Haha...just kidding. But seriously, you're supposed to enjoy challenges because in medicine, there being little room for error, it won't always be easy to make diagnoses and form treatment plans.

So what better way to start preparing for this challenging career by doing honors biochem?

J/k.

The truth is...easiness is a relative term. The 'easiness' or 'toughness' of a program depends on the person's interests, background, academic strengths & weaknesses, etc. So choose something you're interested in and would enjoy learning more about. Perhaps it would be more helpful for you to ask about specific programs you're considering and people in those programs could share their experience/offer advice.

2. If I had a B.S in another university in biological chemistry, but somehow wished to do a 2nd degree in UBC or SFU, are there any restrictions on the degree that I choose? Any advice?

I really don't know much about this. I think you should talk to an a science advisor to see how much overlap is allowed and which UBC (or SFU) science programs would accept some of the courses you've already taken as pre-requisites for higher level courses you'll do for your second degree which you may then be able to complete in two years.

Good luck.

LOL, you know what? If I wanted to do an "easy" second degree to get into UBC Med after doing a science degree in biological chemistry, I would do a BA in an area of interest (for me that would probably be literature and sociology). You seem to already have a science degree...why not try something different?

Archived