Premed 101 Forums

The year(s) in between undergrad and med school

Guest Elliott

Guest Elliott

I am not a med student yet but am looking to ask those who are my question:

What did you do or would you have done in the year(s) in between unsuccessful med school applications? If you just graduated and have hopes of getting into med school and don't get in - then what?

What did you do to make your application more competitive?

Just thinking about my back-up plans...

Thanks,

elliott

Guest InuvikGirl

I spent a year volunteering full time in Canada’s North. It was a great learning experience, it didn't cost me anything, and it was a a much needed break from school. I am glad to have spent the year up north and it has made me want to practice up north later on in my career. www.frontiersfoundation.c...ation.html

• 2 months later...

Hey, question about the Nunavut program (I've gone to the page and it sounds great)!

If I do end up getting to go up North for the program next year, and I get invited to Med interviews down here in the spring, will I be able to fly down for a bit to attend them?

Did you find yourself in this position? Are the flights costly?

Thanks a lot!

Guest McMastergirl

To answer the original question...

I know someone who got a job in her field after undergrad, over in Europe. She worked there for 5 years and then reapplied. What changed? Well, she was more mature, so maybe that was what made the difference.

Guest 24medgirl

Since my undergrad (Bsc. Applied Human Nutrition) I have been working in my field as a Clinical Dietitian for the last two years. I just applied to Med in Ontario for the first time.

Good luck!

Guest therealcrackers

I did some grad work at U of T and got a job as an usher for the Blue Jays between undergrad and meds. Just finished med school last May.

Guest cutieyellow

I did one year of pharmacy. I figured it was a great backup plan in case my 2nd application cycle (AND last) wasn't gonna work out. I think that sometimes after x amt of times applying (met someone who was on his 7th cycle - he just works in a clothing store in the meantime), it's time to find other dreams and aspirations. Not that i judge anyone that is persistent, but even persistance has a limit... and your life must be lived on.

CY

Guest marbledust
(met someone who was on his 7th cycle - he just works in a clothing store in the meantime)

When I was stressing about applying for the third time, my mentor introduced me to a family doc who persevered through 7 rejections and was accepted on the 8th try. This person had a fairly good career as a high school science teacher, and just kept at it until they made. But I admit that even three attempts just about did me in...and I wouldn't have gone for a 4th. :)

Guest cutieyellow

I definitely admire the perseverance, don't get me wrong, it's just that sometimes you have to realize that you're not made for something. This guy has been applying for 7 yrs. He's made the interview EVERY single year. However, once the interview is done, he gets rejected. At some point, he should somehow try to improve his CV instead of just hoping that he'll fall upon the 'right' interviewers no?

And i'm glad you made it on your 3rd try Marble, you are definitely more courageous than i, for 2nd rejection would have been more than enough for me :)

CY

Guest noncestvrai

I don't know for you guys, but for me, what keeps me alive are my hopes and dreams. I salute your courage and perseverance marble.

I did a M.Sc. in between, and I realised that medicine was what I really wanted during that time. I am very much grateful of the chance that I have.

noncestvrai

P.S. I heard UdeM are changing their policies to allow "lower GPAs" to have a real chance of admission, maybe your friend will benefit from this.

Guest cutieyellow

But it's not his GPA the problem NCV, as he obviously makes the interview cut every yr. It's really post interview that he gets refused, and this straight out, no waitlist, nothing. After 7 times, which means 14 interviewers at least, and they ALL agree that this guy is not made for medicine, doesn't that count for something?

CY

Guest marbledust
I definitely admire the perseverance, don't get me wrong, it's just that sometimes you have to realize that you're not made for something.

I knew what you were saying cutieyellow and I agree with you...to a certain point :)

I guess my example of applying 8 times is a bit different from your example. This person actually made the waitlist for 5-6 years in a row but just couldn't seem to get a break and make it in. But if one isn't even making the waitlists, well that might be a different story.

But on the other hand, if they are happy with working in a clothing store and spending the time and money each year to apply, then I guess following the dream is not really hurting anyone. It's gotta be somewhat demoralizing, though, to go through rejection year after year.

I only applied the third time because I had made the waitlist the year before after not even getting an interview my first go-round. Had I not made the waitlist, I wouldn't have gambled on the third admission cycle. I guess everybody has their own priorities and timelines...

Guest cutieyellow

Oh, i agree Marble! If you make the waitlist every yr, or 5-6 times then i definitely would apply again....it's like you're SOOOOO close.

But ya, you're right, how demoralizing, definitely would have broken me a long time ago.

CY

Archived