Premed 101 Forums

CVs/Resumes for Med School

Guest np2008

Guest np2008

I still have a while to go before applying to medical school, but just wanted to have some things cleared up in advance.

I was wondering how far back the activities listed on our resume can go, i.e. should be list important activities that we did back in high school? My high school had a very strong social experience program which involved community service at places like Under-5s clinics, orphanages, senior homes etc in rural India. I also shadowed doctors in an outpatient department for a couple of weeks just before my senior year of high school. I consider some of those experiences quite important in helping me choose my career path, so would it be appropriate to list these activities in my C.V? Or are they only looking for my work and volunteer experiences during my undergrad years?

Guest arjuna83

Hey,

In general, anything you did after age 16 is fair game. You should, however, place more emphasis on the activities you did during undergrad.

Good luck!

Guest np2008

Thanks! I will try and put more emphasis on the volunteer work and extracurriculars I do during my undergrad, but I'd like to at least put down the fact that I have shadowed doctors whilst in high school because I probably won't do that again.

Cheers,

NP

Archived