Premed 101 Forums

Using the Carms Site

Hi All, I've been having some trouble making sense of the tonnes of stats they throw at you from the match reports...My questions are, how do I find out:

a) How many spots each program offers? (eg Pediatrics/UBC)

B) how many people were interviewed for those spots?

c) how to get this information for other specialties as well....

- Patent -:confused:

Hey,

Perhaps I can answer a question or two.

a) The number of spots each school offers for a given program can be found as part of the individual program descriptions- usually in the same box as the program contact. Sadly, since the number of spots is pretty much always in flux due to various factors, there will only be an approximate quota posted. That said, the estimations are usually bang on and in general, the true value will only increase or decrease by one spot usually. Last I've heard, it seems that the estimated quotas aren't yet up on the program descriptions, so you're kind of out of luck in that department until further notice. I'm sure that they'll be up soon though, seeing as how CaRMS season has once again begun!

B) The number of applications and interviews offered is usually included at the top of the program profile, just under the approximate quota. Often times, you are able to determine which programs interview everyone versus the ones that are a little more specific in their choices (ie: offer interviews only to people who did electives at their sites- those ones are annoying). If you have elective time left, sometimes you can use this information to tailor your choices for away electives to maximize the number of interview invites that you recieve.

c) Again, to find this information for other specialties, you'll have to look up the program profiles for each program and discipline you are interested in, although I think that there is a giant table that shows the number of people who applied to each discipline (but doesn't show interviews offered, nor the number of "serious" applicants).

That's all I've got for now. Hope it helps!

Hi there,

Hi All, I've been having some trouble making sense of the tonnes of stats they throw at you from the match reports...My questions are, how do I find out:

a) How many spots each program offers? (eg Pediatrics/UBC)

B) how many people were interviewed for those spots?

c) how to get this information for other specialties as well....

- Patent -:confused:

Regarding a), the 2007 quotae have not yet been released. However, as Timmy noted, when they are, they should appear in the info box at the top of each program's description page.

As for B) and c) the information is currently there for previous years' CaRMS rounds.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived