Premed 101 Forums

Canadian vs American DAT

How closely are the two DAT? beside the difference in section (ie, no organic, no math,etc) are the depth of the biological, inorganic chemistry, PAT similar? I currently have a kaplan DAT (for american), and I don't want to waste more money on getting a canadian practice test.

Will the american test give me similar depth in terms of question style, etc?

thanks a lot..got 3 weeks until exam and I havent even started lol was busy with MCAT and school started with too much stuff...figure i should start tonight

The reading, perceptual ability and science tests are pretty much the same. There is no quantitative reasoning section on the Canadian exam, but there is a manual dexterity component. This is something you cannot pick up from American prep materials. I urge you to order carving supplies from the CDA. Depending on which schools you apply to, the carving can be pretty important.

Cheers,

ap

Even if the carving section is not important to the schools you are interested in, you should at least practice some basic soap carvings. A startup kit can be obtained from the CDA and tips, etc from IQ books or other prep programs.

Assuming Dentistry is your backup plan to Medicine, you should not worry too much about the sciences. What you studied for MCAT is more than enough to cover the chemistry and biology section. The reading comprehension is a lot easier for the DAT compared to Verbal for the MCAT. I suggest you just spend your time studying for the PAT and Carving sections.

Archived