Premed 101 Forums

About Manitoba (the city)

Hey, I've applied to Manitoba for medical school and I want to know what it is like there. So if people who currently reside in Winnipeg can shed some light it would be great.

What is the diversity and multicultralism like? If anyone could compare it with big cities like Vancounver and Toronto, that would be great too.

Also, how is the safety of the city in general?

Thanks

Jectin

I've lived in Winnipeg for the last 15 years and I can say Winnipeg has its good and bad sides.

1. Wpg is a really good place for raising a family; its not overtly big and overtly small. Its got some of the amenities of a big city with the feel of a small town.

2. Winnipeggers, I find, have an inferiority complex. They feel the need to try to be something their not but rationlize why the settle for less. However, the fact is they don't settle for less, its just that whole idea of the grass is greener on the other side mentality. I don't want to make Winnipeggers sound bad, b/c I am one (not a loyal one at that, but still one) but I just don't get it.

3. You cannot compare Wpg to Van. or TO. They are too different. Compare it to Edmonton or Ottawa instead.

4. I have applied to a number of OOP schools b/c I want a change in scenery, however, if I were to end up in Manitoba, I wouldn't be upset for an instance.

5. It is insanely hot in the summer and insanely cold in the winter.

6. The city advocates multiculturalism and diversity through its many festivals and Folkarama, however, I think Winnipeg is seriously lacking. That's also part of the reason I want to leave. I feel so sheltered from other things (not necessarily better things) in Winnipeg.

I think you should be happy you applied, Manitoba has an awesome medical school and you should really consider it if you get in.

6. The city advocates multiculturalism and diversity through its many festivals and Folkarama, however, I think Winnipeg is seriously lacking

When I visited for my UofM interview I was surprised at the number of visible/ethic minorities in the city. It's not Toronto or Montreal, but it's far more diverse than I think most people from outside the city would think. I only spent a few days there, but it seemed like a pretty cool city, apart from the warnings not to stray away from the Health Sci campus at night.

When I visited for my UofM interview I was surprised at the number of visible/ethic minorities in the city. It's not Toronto or Montreal, but it's far more diverse than I think most people from outside the city would think. I only spent a few days there, but it seemed like a pretty cool city, apart from the warnings not to stray away from the Health Sci campus at night.

That is seriously for your own safety. Bad things have been known to happen to med. students leaving late at night.

Manitobans pride themselves on being better than the entire province of Saskatchewan (really, is there anything worse than that place?) and all of the maritimes. I've been to Ontario and I absolutely hate it, they all wish they were Americans. Of course everyone will say Alberta and B.C. are better, but that is because they are the new hot and trendy thing. Most people can't afford Alberta or B.C., so Manitoba is the happy medium.

There, I think I have generally offended as many different things as possible.

Edit: I've been studying at the Health Sciences campus for the past 5 years (past 2 being almost every day due to being in the faculty.) The majority of the time I have walked to my car later than 10pm, actually later than 10pm every single day for the past 1.5 months. It is not that bad at ALL. Nobody is ever around except for students, and they have security patrol Jeeps driving around the block every few minutes for an added safety measure.

currently there is roughly a 2 year waiting list to get any spot owned by HSC, and when you do it is $70 per month. The further you get, you can get some spots from private lots, such as the one behind the Maryland hotel for 40-50 bucks a month. You can also get some private spots if you hunt hard enough in a local resident's garage or back lane, ranging from 30-60 a month (those are usually far and super hard to come by as well).

Otherwise you can pay $6 per day to park in the parkade, which usually gets full in the morning anyways. You can buy bulk tickets, but that only saves you $1 per day so you will be paying $5 per day, yet still be facing the possibility of showing up to a full parkade in the morning.

Archived