Premed 101 Forums

Would a Tablet PC be useful?

A number of people in my class (perhaps 5 or 6) have tablet PCs. I see them using them for most classes. As of right now, notes are given to us on paper, which would make taking your own notes difficult if you preferred to write into your tablet. However, the school is moving to a paperless system in the near future, presumably meaning that they'll post notes on the online student system prior to lecture (that's not always the case right now).

The people I know who have them love them. I didn't want to get one because of the nature of the joint - in order that the screen can be flipped around, its only connect at one small place - kindof flimsy. The size of the screen for tablet PCs is generally not very large, which isn't ideal for people who like to watch movies / do graphic design. And, as previously mentioned, you'll be getting lower specifications (slower processor, less memory, smaller hard drive) if you buy a tablet PC for the same price as a regular PC. Price them out, but you'll generally find that a laptop with tablet capability is perhaps $1500 more than a PC with the same specs that doesn't have tablet.

The handwriting-to-text recognition for tablets is generally quite accurate - except for some of the medical words. Therefore, be SURE that you get a tablet PC that you can 'train' the dictionary and add words it doesn't 'know' - surprisingly, not all tablets offer this.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

Like Dr. Nomis' class, there are a few folks in my class (UofC) who have used tablets. They seemed to like the functionality of them and the ability to write their own notes onto the electronic class notes. As mentioned above, however, you should check to see if your class notes might be made available both, electronically and in advance.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

The handwriting-to-text recognition for tablets is generally quite accurate - except for some of the medical words. Therefore, be SURE that you get a tablet PC that you can 'train' the dictionary and add words it doesn't 'know' - surprisingly, not all tablets offer this.
What Tablet PC's could possibly not offer this? As far as I know, tablet PC's all have the same handwriting recognition - it's built into Windows, Tablet PC edition, which ships with all real tablets. It's not really training that's necessary, it's adding a medical dictionary into the Windows dictionary. The Tablet PC handwriting recognition works by guessing what dictionary word you mean to spell, so long words typically work very well, as there are fewer options for what you might mean.

Unless you are talking about laptops that are marketed as tablets but aren't really? (Those that have a touch-sensitive screen or other alternative input and don't ship with Windows Tablet PC Edition?)

The reason why I'm interested in the tablet is for supplementing notes (if taking notes in class) with things I can't type, such as flow charts, equations, sketches. . .

I wouldn't need any writing recognition.

So I guess my question is if you were taking notes by your computer in class, would you want/need the functionality of adding flow charts/diagrams often?

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Robarakira,

Did you end up purchasing a tablet/PC? The reason I am asking is b/c I think I want to purchase one if I get into UBC med this year. What did you get....and if so, how is it working for you?

If anyone else has any new recommendations to add to this discussion it would be most appreciated. I'm totally computer illiterate and would welcome any suggestions or brand recommendations that are currently working well for students in the med field. Are many of the med texts on-line? Is it difficult to study information from a computer screen? I'm used to the old fashioned book way....highlighting....etc......?!:o

thanks....

A friend of mine purchased a tablet about 5 to 6 months ago. He seems to like it a lot because it can also be used as a regular lap top. I was studying with him tonight and took a look through his notes and they were impeccable. Using a tablet for taking notes (in undergrad) seems to really help with organization. His diagrams and slides were imbedded right in the notes, so when he went to study he just clicked print and everything just came out in order (with date, time, lecture number and everything).

The only thing I have noticed that is a little awkward is switching between lap top and tablet form. Whenever you go from lap top to tablet, it must be recalibrated each time. This only takes 10 seconds, but it got a little annoying even after the first time.

Overall though, he is really enjoying the purchase.

Kuantum,

thanks for the feedback...

do you know what brand your friend has? I wonder if he/she has a problem in lectures when it takes 10 seconds or so to convert from tablet form to regular laptop format? Does it slow he or she down when taking notes? I was thinking I would probably type notes and use the tablet for graphs or whatever "freehand" stuff that comes up? Is it annoying to other students around you when you are constantly clicking and manicly typing notes I wonder?

Kuantum,

thanks for the feedback...

do you know what brand your friend has? I wonder if he/she has a problem in lectures when it takes 10 seconds or so to convert from tablet form to regular laptop format? Does it slow he or she down when taking notes? I was thinking I would probably type notes and use the tablet for graphs or whatever "freehand" stuff that comes up? Is it annoying to other students around you when you are constantly clicking and manicly typing notes I wonder?

He hasn't expressed any concern over the switch time, it was something I noticed. A lot of students type in class, so I don't think its that big a deal. Plus, he's kind of careful with his technology, so he's not abusing his keyboard or anything like that :D . Also, he uses a Gateway.

Archived