Premed 101 Forums

Since I filled out my application

And had to really hype why I want to go to NOMS, I'm starting to think about NOMS as my first pick. While I was writing my essays for NOMS it became incredibly clear to me that that's one of the two schools where I want to be.

Random info about me for the Saturday of a long weekend when I should be writing an english essay :o

Anyone else had a change of heart as a result of app soul searching?

Hi,

Not that it is a big deal but NOMS is not the accronym for the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, it is NOSM... it changed from NOMS to NOSM prior to the entry of the charter class. I know it is picky sounding but in an interview or formal application they might be fussy about using the current abbreviation for the school. There are very few little things that I can help with in regards to application/interviews but this is one of them, be it VERY small.

Good luck!!!

Hi,

Not that it is a big deal but NOMS is not the accronym for the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, it is NOSM... it changed from NOMS to NOSM prior to the entry of the charter class. I know it is picky sounding but in an interview or formal application they might be fussy about using the current abbreviation for the school. There are very few little things that I can help with in regards to application/interviews but this is one of them, be it VERY small.

Good luck!!!

Got it! Thanks! I guess I'm just living in the past.

Kuantum-don't get me wrong-I'll happily go where ever the email leads, it's just that my feelings about going to NOSM changed dramatically as I was filling the app out.

Got it! Thanks! I guess I'm just living in the past.

Kuantum-don't get me wrong-I'll happily go where ever the email leads, it's just that my feelings about going to NOSM changed dramatically as I was filling the app out.

I'm just joshin' you...I know exactly what you mean. UBC and Ottawa started looking a little more appealing to me during the application process.

I'm just joshin' you...I know exactly what you mean. UBC and Ottawa started looking a little more appealing to me during the application process.

UBC is lovely-one of my favourite campuses in Canada! I guess that's why I was surprised by my change of heart-I've never seen Lakehead or Laurentian.

I knew you were "joshin' "-I didn't mean to sound defensive. I'm **supposed** to be writing a 500 word English essay about 1500 words worth of material so my posts are more curt than I would normally write :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest BigNickel

Here's the perspective of someone who's actually a student at NOSM:

-last summer, after having completed a year here, I would have said, "only come to NOSM if you don't get in anywhere else, and if you are DESPERATE to be a doctor"

-after another half-year, I would now say, "Don't come to NOSM. Just don't. Finish your Masters. Do your PhD. Write the MCAT. Stay in the career that you're in. Really, anything but. Seriously."

Guest BigNickel

Let's just say, in my opinion, they launched before they were ready. Maybe I'll let any of my classmates who show up here offer their thoughts.

"lets just say" Some facts would be appreciated.

Because you cannot substantiate your point i'll have to assume it is ignorant. That is, unsubstantiated hot-wind. Let me guess you have struggled through the CBL. Failed some tests?

BigFace,

Let's not jump the gun here - no need to resort to name-calling. I'm sure he/she will elaborate soon.

What name did i call him?

BigNickel gave a series of opinions, he/she was asked to explain...given the opportunity he/she passed the buck to his/her so called friends that elegedly are in agreeance with him/her.....A person who is in medical school should by that time in their education at least understand an opinion of that type with no evidence is a waste of time, much like this responce to your forum post. So if you are going to correct me at least do it with some...wait for it...facts...i did not in fact call BigNickel any names.

BigFace,

What name did i call him?

BigNickel gave a series of opinions, he/she was asked to explain...given the opportunity he/she passed the buck to his/her so called friends that elegedly are in agreeance with him/her.....A person who is in medical school should by that time in their education at least understand an opinion of that type with no evidence is a waste of time, much like this responce to your forum post. So if you are going to correct me at least do it with some...wait for it...facts...i did not in fact call BigNickel any names.

BigFace,

Dude... chill.

Guest BigNickel

For example: our clerkship consists of an 8-month-long placement, with no financial support, in a family practice, in cities that are a minimum of several hours from Sudbury.

BigNickel...So of all the reasonings you could muster up, this is it? Pathetic!

The fact that you didn't make financial preparations before medical school does not indicate to me that i should not attend NOSM...Most people work their buns off to save money from year one of their undergrad. This is you're excuse?

Kenneth Toronto...do you know what a rhetorical question is? And i do know who BigNickel is.

BigFace,

BigFace - this was what disapointed HIM so you may not agree with. so take it easy ;)

BigNickel - I think having to go to a different city/town is part of the process. they are training rural docs after all. Also, the school is rural, so there may not be many practices close by, thus you have to travel to do your clerkship... it was something you could have anticipated before applying.

How is the education tho? The university seems very close knit. I think it's one of the things that attract me to NOSM

ps. what's up with both of you having Big in your name? :D

BigNickel...So of all the reasonings you could muster up, this is it? Pathetic!

The fact that you didn't make financial preparations before medical school does not indicate to me that i should not attend NOSM...Most people work their buns off to save money from year one of their undergrad. This is you're excuse?

Kenneth Toronto...do you know what a rhetorical question is? And i do know who BigNickel is.

BigFace,

How can you conclude that someone hasn't made appropriate financial preparations when all they've stated is that there's no financial support during clerkship.

As a side note, I'd be surprised if you know what a rhetorical question is (without resorting to a dictionary or other source). We can safely conclude, though, that you don't know what "spelling" means.

Vector.

I may not be able to spell (according to you), but you seemingly cannot read. I said i know who BigNickel is. Because i know him/her i also know this persons situation....and yes i know what rhetorical means....an example in my first post may be reviewed. And "how can you conclude" that i dont know what it means...your post is meaningless and like the others a waste of my time and effort.

AMmd...its no coincidence there is "big" in both our names. I know BigNickel which is why i am challenging his post...

BigFace,

Archived