Premed 101 Forums

Overcoming nervousness

Smurfette

I was wondering whether people have tips for how to improve on interviews. I love meeting people and talking to others in social settings, but I don't really like the feeling of being judged and so I'm not very good at interviews (or oral exams, etc.). I kind of get nervous and impersonal, which could come across as "cold" or "shy". Does anyone have any suggestions other than simply doing a few mock interviews?

I was wondering whether people have tips for how to improve on interviews. I love meeting people and talking to others in social settings, but I don't really like the feeling of being judged and so I'm not very good at interviews (or oral exams, etc.). I kind of get nervous and impersonal, which could come across as "cold" or "shy". Does anyone have any suggestions other than simply doing a few mock interviews?

I'm not a medical student yet, however, I have done quite a few scholarship interviews or interviews for other things. The best advice I have ever gotten and I tell people is to be yourself. Say what you think is right and try to best convey who you are. I know it sounds really simple, but usually your instincts are right and I am assuming you are not a horrible person with extreme fundamental flaws, so I'd think if you prepared for some typical questions and answered the rest based on the person you are, you'd be fine. A lot of people don't do this, and it acts as a good separator from those admitted vs. those rejected.

Hi there,

it is very hard for someone to admit that they actually get nervous to talk to strangers (who judge you like you said) during interviews. But I think a lot of people get nervous nevertheless.

My trick (if you can call it a trick) is to stop someone I barely know and have a long conversation with them just before I have an interview or a presentation. it sounds stange, but it makes me think of something else and I forget about the dreadfull presentation. The other thing I do, is to be overly prepared... know everything about yourself and where you stand on thing.

if nothing else works, maybe you can try some beta blockers or some benzodiazapine (spelling??) :D ... you just cant say no to drugs :eek:

Don't worry! Breath and relax.

Forget that they are interviewing you with the intent of JUDGING you and just pretend they are people you are having a conversation with. You'll all on the same level, just talking about things that interests both you and them. Also depending on the university, the interview format maybe very conducive to this. At my UT interview, I didn't feel that they were asking me a list of questions so much as following up on what I said last. Some universities will of course be asking from a list (Western). But then, it should feel even more like what you're familiar with, someone practicing with you asking questions from a list =)

Hi there,

UofT offers an excellent interview skills service for students applying to medical school. I'd highly recommend giving that a try.

Also, practice can often help reduce anxiety. Not practicing to the point of rehearsing any interview "lines", but practicing some test responses out loud to help you become comfortable saying what you mean and effectively conveying your messages.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I posted some pieces of advice in another thread --> http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18461 <-- and I'm not going to repeat 'em here. That said, I think some nervousness is normal-- if you were NOT nervous I'd say it is a problem. Nervousness in general-- I don't think is a big hinderance.

I worked on getting more comfortable in the interview situation/building my communication skills by joining the local debate club. In retrospect, I think that was one the best things I did. I enjoy politics; so, it was fun in that way. Also, it has helped me quickly better organize my thoughts when making any sort of oral presentation. :)

i have not had an interview for medicine (yet), but plan to enjoy it. afterall, how many people are actually offered an interview out of the couple thousand that apply? you have earned that time - by all means, prepare for it, but enjoy it. you obviously already have qualities and achievements the committee values in a doctor...they just want to know more about you. and how many times do you have a full forty-five minutes (or whatever your interview time is) to talk about yourself?!?!? just be yourself (they already like who you are on paper) and relish the opportunity...you are one step closer to becoming a med student!!!

good luck.

dd

Smurfette,

I am just like you...I get very nervous with any type of interview where you are being judged.

What I found helpful for me was to actually sit down with a list of questions and formulate some point form answers for each. I would then keep going over the points in my head until I memorized them. After that, I would practice my answers to the questions outlined..and yes, at first I was just listing points that seemed rehearsed and obviously memorized. However, as I became more and more comfortable with my points, I was then able to be less rehearsed and more relaxed. It's like practicing for a presentation...at first, you are always looking at your cue cards or recalling things from memory. But when you have practiced enough, you know your presentation so well that you can just recall points in your head and then express them.

So, practice..practice..practice. I find that there are common questions asked at medical interviews...you really should have a good answer for those.

GOOD LUCK

2L

To further what 2Loony suggested, I borrowed a dictaphone (you know, those mini tape recorders that are used for dictation?), and I practiced talking to myself, and listening to my answers. The problem with talking to yourself or saying answers in your head, is that there never seems to be any lags in time or stuttering, whereas once you are taping yourself, you'd better pay attention to time passing. It also gives you a chance to hear your intonation and enunciating, which is important (I know! I'm a mumbler).

If you are more worried about the nerves as compared to sounding coherent, try finding people you don't know, or don't know well, to have mock interviews with. I know at Waterloo they offered them through career services, and I'm pretty sure that at some places they will even video tape you.

And remember, that pretty much everyone is going to be nervous. I know that my hands felt like icicles, to the point that my interviewers commented on it when we shook hands. Another girl was telling me recently about how she got cotton mouth even though she had water to drink. Once you get started, you'll be fine, honestly!

I've done a lot of interviews this year, but this time on the opposite side of the table. I've hired a lot of people for the student service I run at UBC. It's definitely been a great experience for myself, seeing how other people handle interviews. First of all, don't expect to have the greatest answers right away. It's ok to think about things before answering. Just make sure whatever you say is said confidently, and at a decent pace. Muttering quietly or talking too fast is something I see far too often.

I've also seen people who seem to have a natural nack for interviews. I think this skill is partly from doing a lot of interviews, and partly from their inherent social nature. The former is always improved from being involved in extracurriculars and other things, and you probably should have done with your premed preparation. The latter is harder to change, I'ld say I was naturally an introverted person and there's nothing wrong with that, but over the past few years I've become far more of an extrovert. Whatever it is, they confidently and calmy maintain control over the interview situation, and have definitely impressed me as an employer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just though that I would add my 2 cents about things from a more mechanical perspective.

I have long been plagued by 'stage fright' particularly in interviews and when speaking to a large group, and more debilitatingly performing piano.

Anyhow here are a few practisable hints that I have that have improved my ability.

1. When you are not speaking concentrate on breathing, it is very very common for people to 'forget' to breath when they are in pressure situations like that.

2. Be conscious of what you do with your hands. Fiddling with a pen/arm of the chair/shirt/pants/chin/other hand can be very distracting and you want to be remembered for how well you speak and not how much you fiddled.

3. Look your interviewers in the eye. Even though you may be frightened of them show that YOU feel you are the best person for the spot.

4. This may seem obvious but think before you speak. I have been a terrible culprit of this one. Sometime you start answering right after the question has be asked, pour your soul out, and then realize that you have interpreted the question wrong and can tell by the look on the interviewers face.

5. The day before your interview be really cocky, this gets your confidence and make you more confortable and confident when you are speaking. It is, however, important to do this the day before as adcoms don't want to accept people who think they know it all.

6. Smile. That is my biggest peice of advice. There is nothing better than a big 'ole smile decrease the tension.

Well those are the tips that I could think of. By no means are they everything and maybe the just work for my but they have helped me overcome a crippling fear of being in the hot seat.

Best of luck

UBCGuy

• 3 weeks later...

Who is the most intimidating person that you know? Ask that person to interview you. Worked for me. I asked my toxicology prof. He has a British accent (which I find intimidating). At my real interview, I felt relaxed. I even managed to be funny.

It may also help to know that the interview is the funnest part of applying to medicine. The worst part is writing personal essays.

D

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the idea of practicing for the interview because:

1) It will help you in general at not being overly nervous. Nothing can cure a bit of nerves, but like sports, when you have practiced enough, performing on game day is that much easier.

2) If you practice well, very little can surprise you. I have to assume this is what throws a lot of interviewees. If you aren't prepared to answer an odd question and keep your wits about you, you are likely to panic a little when the time comes. Interviewers like to throw odd questions at you, not for the answer so much as how you respond to it.

3) You get feed back as to whether you sound contrived/robotic/nuts/whatever. Never hurts to hear what you can do better.

4) You learn how to be yourself in an ackward situation. This is where practicing with friends can help. This is important, because at the end of the day, it all boils down to whether or not they like ya.

Archived