Premed 101 Forums

Alternatives following 4 year undergrad.

I am a 4th year Human Kinetics student who has applied to 2 medical schools this fall. I am very aware that many students are not accepted their first time around. I am curious to know what others plan on doing after their 4th year if not accepted, as well as what are the most favorable alternatives for someone who wants to pursue a career in medicine. What do med schools look positively upon, and what are less beneficial options? (Masters, physio, 5th year undergrad, working, etc)

Thank you for your input.

I am a 4th year Human Kinetics student who has applied to 2 medical schools this fall. I am very aware that many students are not accepted their first time around. I am curious to know what others plan on doing after their 4th year if not accepted, as well as what are the most favorable alternatives for someone who wants to pursue a career in medicine. What do med schools look positively upon, and what are less beneficial options? (Masters, physio, 5th year undergrad, working, etc)

Thank you for your input.

It depends on your weaknesses and on your interests.

If you think you might not make medical school due to low marks, it might be a good idea to pursue a 5th year of undergrad (or for schools that look at grad marks, a masters).

If you have weak extracurriculars and "life experience" in general, it might be advisable to spend a year working, doing volunteer work, and becoming more involved in the community.

Also, what are your interests outside of medicine? If you were never accepted to medicine, what would you like to do as an alternative - research, another health care field, etc.? You might try pursuing activities useful for those back-up plans, so that if you don't end up making medicine you'll have something else you're interested in to fall back on.

Archived