Premed 101 Forums

Importance of bilingualism at McGill

Guest Apollo

Hey all,

As an Ontario resident (ie:OOP), do you think that a limited understanding of the french language will impair my chances of gaining acceptance at McGill? Although I studied core french throughout elementary and high school, I certainly don't consider myself bilingual.

Thanks for your thoughts

I'm not trying to diminish my hopes or anything, but I have a good feeling that even if my GPA and/or MCAT scores were slightly higher than someone else who was perfectly bilingual, I would be ranked behind the other person. Hopefully someone in the MDCM program can prove me wrong, but I think McGill strongly prefers bilingual applicants.

U of Ottawa and McGill are my first two choices (not necessarily in that order), mainly because I could continue developing my french skills in a suitable environment.

Thanks for everyone's responses

U of Ottawa and McGill are my first two choices (not necessarily in that order), mainly because I could continue developing my french skills in a suitable environment.

Thats a perfect answer you can give them during the interview. Even tho you dont speak english, you still want to learn it in a bilingual environment. Like I said previously... I think they only look at your marks at first (for the interview) and then they select according to your aptitudes

hey does anyone know if trilingualism has a + effect on the admissions commity?:D

Hey guys,

I'm a 1st year medical student at McGill and got in as an out of province applicant (McGill was by far my first choice but I only got in on Aug 3rd - the waiting list does move!). From my experience, bilingualism probably isn't a huge factor since I know a number of students who don't speak french at all. Of the 4 OOP's I know (7 OOPs total), there's two people who speak French relatively fluently, and one person with only very basic French. I don't know the fourth person's french level. I know at least two Americans who speak very little French. That being said, once rotations come around, you'll have trouble communicating with many patients if you can't speak French (the rotations are in anglophone hospitals but many francophone patients visit them too). I've heard that this can be a big problem since we're going to get marked on patient interaction, and that's a lot more difficult if there's a language barrier. We actually have French for medicine workshops available to us, but they're only useful if you have a basic knowledge. If you have no knowledge, then you'd actually have to go register yourself in a french course at the university or elsewhere.

Best of luck OOP applicants! I know it seems impossible, but sometimes you'd be surprised :)

The languages you speak don't really bear on your application. If don't speak French fluently, your ability in the language will come up in an interview, but unless you say something ridiculous (eg you have no interest in learning) it won't be a factor in your score.

Similarly, speaking a third language isn't formally an asset, although it might add to the impression you leave a interviewer, particularly if it's one you acquired after childhood.

All of the preclinical instruction is in English. You have the option to submit written assigments in French if you want.

However, when you start in the hospitals, it's important to speak at least some French because 1) you'll feel a bit silly being unable to care for francophone patients (and to help your team with them) and 2) your potential learning opportunities are reduced by about half.

That said, there are always some people who finish their degree speaking next to no French. But if you're even remotely motivated, you can learn a lot in the first year and a half. I know of several people who went from zero French to being quite functional by the time they hit the wards.

hey "master splinter", this is totally unrelated, but have you seen the new Ninja Turtles show that was started in 2003? its too sick. check it out if you havent!!!!.... and i encourage all fans to do so :D

now, back to our regularly scheduled program of pre-med discussion....

As a MSIII, I can tell you that it is an advantage to speak french, but not a necessity. My good Polish friend who knows next to nothing in French does just fine. You can grab a nurse, social worker, colleague etc if you feel the need while taking a Hx.

It is actually possible to become functional in French, just go to Lac St-Jean for the summer, there are immersion programs I think, you'll learn much more than in downtown Mtl. When there is a will there is a way.

noncestvrai

Archived