Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Score and UBC

So I'm not too happy with my result in one category and was wondering at what number did UBC begin their flags? 9 and below? 8 and below? I hear they even administer "red" flags at a certain score that mean there is no way you will accepted EVEN if you interview.

I just called in and she pretty much said not to worry about it so long as your pre-reqs can make up for it (i.e. the English course can make up for VR/writing, etc).

Hope that helps...but it'd be nice to get some insider information re: flags.

Oh and, they only look at pre-req GPA and MCAT score (best one) AFTER you interview, so what she said completely coincides with this fact.

I'd like to know this too.

I had a PS 13, VR 6, WS S, BS 12...I have no idea what went wrong in VR. I have never done this bad...ever. It's not one of those, I am in so much shock "I have no idea what happened", its, I can't even offer an explanation or a rational of what might have happened that led to that score.

I went through some past threads and those who were rejected with a 7 in VR had a flag. This doesn't mean that those who were accepted with a 7 did have a flag (the person only saw the rejected applicants or something...check the other bumped VR thread).

I went through some past threads and those who were rejected with a 7 in VR had a flag. This doesn't mean that those who were accepted with a 7 did have a flag (the person only saw the rejected applicants or something...check the other bumped VR thread).

Ok so a 7 is most likely a flag....what about an 8?...I've been looking at the accepted/rejected, waitlist thread and I've seen some people who have gotten accepted with an 8 but I can't seem to find anything from people who did not get in regarding flags due to mcat scores....

I'd like to know this too.

I had a PS 13, VR 6, WS S, BS 12...I have no idea what went wrong in VR. I have never done this bad...ever. It's not one of those, I am in so much shock "I have no idea what happened", its, I can't even offer an explanation or a rational of what might have happened that led to that score.

Sorry to hear about your MCAT woes. If you really think it's a mistake, then get AAMC to remark that score. BTW, one possible reason that you bombed the section is if you bubbled in the score sheet one question off.

To celeria: An O is fine.

Any score below an 8 is a flag. Anything above that seems to be all the same to UBC. They don't put much emphasis on the MCAT, more on your overall avg.

Again to clairify, below 8 (not including 8) is a flag ...or... below 8 (including 8) is a flag? Just wondering because you also said ABOVE 8 is all the same. I know 8 is borderline but do you think it will it garner a dreaded flag at UBC? :confused:

:D Thanks!!

Again to clairify, below 8 (not including 8) is a flag ...or... below 8 (including 8) is a flag? Just wondering because you also said ABOVE 8 is all the same. I know 8 is borderline but do you think it will it garner a dreaded flag at UBC? :confused:

:D Thanks!!

8 is not a flag. 7 and below is a flag.

Now... I'm not involved in admissions so I can't say that for sure MCAT scores 8 and above are all looked at the same. It's just the impression I get. The only factor MCAT seems to play in admissions is whether or not you get a flag, therefore how far above 7 your score is doesn't seem to matter all that much.

But a flag doesn't mean an automatic rejection, does it?

I remember reading that a few people with 7's have been accepted.

Maybe their pre-req avgs were good & made up for the 7's?

My situation is the opposite...my pre-req avg isn't too hot (I was once a bad, bad student) and I'm hoping my (future) mcat score can compensate for this somewhat. Does anyone know if this is the case and what's considered a flag in regards to the pre-req avg?

Jixe, if you happen to uncover :D any info about such things plz let us know. Thanks a bunch.

Sugar. I guess my writing sample will be flagged then...

I have the same question as avenir001. I hope a flag doesn't automatically equate to rejection. I got a 9 for VR, does that put me in a slightly better position?

Has anyone ever gotten in with a M?

I don't think below 8 was flagged because I know of people who got in with less than that. Cheers,

Patrick

Flag is not the same as rejection as some posters above mentionned. If you get flagged, then that means you have to do very well in other areas to make up for your flag (eg. if you got an M in WS, you could still get in if they see that you got a 12 in VR and an A+ in your first-year English course)

• 2 weeks later...
I think my VR may warrant a flag, but then again in my application I stated that I tutor English and have also worked in Taiwan with English... We shall see.

From what I gather, an MCAT is required for UBC, but your mark does not factor in to your pre-interview academic mark? That is unless it is, as you say, "flagged"

how do you tutor english in taiwan? I don't think they would give me a job if they saw my verbal score...........:D ...but again, verbal on the mcat is nothing like other starndardized english exams (hmm..LPI anyone?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
robarakira, I just moved back from Taiwan (was there 1.5 years). Sooooo glad to be back. Where in Taiwan were you?

Sorry for the delay,

I was in Tai'chung, a city half way down the island from Taipei.

I had a great time there, but my employment was through family contacts so I don't know how anyone would go about applying to an English school.

I also spent some time touring around Hong Kong and Tokyo, where I met quite a few English teachers (in Japan, namely). Most of them had a bachelors degree in something, so I beleive that may be a prerequisite for some jobs.

I was in Tai'chung, a city half way down the island from Taipei.

Hi there,

I did a good bit of work in Taiwan while within the high-tech sector and spent a bit of time in Tai'chung. Did you happen to run into any of those oddball, palm-sized white spiders while down there? (I've never encountered anything quite like those, even after living in arachnoid-filled Australia.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi thanks for the reply. I did not get down to Tai Chung myself. I'm actually in Tokyo as we speak...my family is spending Christmas here. Sure makes waiting for UBC's January interview offers easier by being away and busy...

I have been to Hong Kong before, lived in the heart of Taipei City, but nothing compares to the hustle and bustle of this city of 12 milliion people! The bullet train in Tokyo is absolutely insanely packed with people...not good for us claustrophobics!

Archived