Premed 101 Forums

MCAT scores posted - how did the Manitoba folks do?

My scenario,

I was rejected last year, hoped to improve my mcat, no luck :mad:

I'm in the exact same position, Freedom. My composite score is EXACTLY the same this year, just a different distribution. I don't know what to think. I guess I'm going to have to ROCK the interview this time.

P.S. This year, MB is only giving interviews to those whose composite MCAT/GPA would make them competitive. Does anyone have an idea of what competitive may be?

P.S. This year, MB is only giving interviews to those whose composite MCAT/GPA would make them competitive. Does anyone have an idea of what competitive may be?

I was rejected last year too. I improved in BS from a 9 to a 12 and all the other scores stayed the same. I don't have a clue as to what a competitive MCAT/AGPA will be. My best guess (which probably isn't a great guess) is that they have a certain number of interviews they are willing to conduct (e.g. 200 - 300 perhaps) and the top MCAT/AGPA's will get those interviews. That prospect terrifies me. I'm not getting any younger, the biological clock is ticking, and I do not want to go back to teaching high school.

My personal opinion is that once you get that interview, anything's possible. Although stats may indicate something differently.

I will quote a wise man I met in my travels.

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that." -Homer

But if you're a number junkie. 10+ is usually good.

As far as I know, MB looks at your composite score (with a WS turned into a number, M=7, N=8, etc.)

I'm in the exact same position, Freedom. My composite score is EXACTLY the same this year, just a different distribution. I don't know what to think. I guess I'm going to have to ROCK the interview this time.

Was this information contained in the applicant bulletin? If possible, please post a link pointing to where this information can be found.

- Ninjzz -

I just checked the previous year's Bulletin for the UofM and found the same statement pertaining to competitiveness. That is to say that those candidates likely to be competitive will be offered interviews.

Hence, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the office declaration than last year, so worry not folks.

- Ninjzz -

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 28P

9ps 10 vr 9 bs P on the essay.

I was expecting below a 24 to be honest. I spent 2 days studying the Kaplan books, when I was reminded the mcat was like 2 days away...(short term memory FTW!) and I got REALLY lucky on the essays as the topics were similar to the ones that were discussed, that I just basically used what ever was said in class (because my essay skills are very sub par, just ask anyone who's ever had the displeasure of proof reading my essays)

I'll be rewirting, and applying next year when I do biochem 2.

I got a 28P

9ps 10 vr 9 bs P on the essay.

I was expecting below a 24 to be honest. I spent 2 days studying the Kaplan books, when I was reminded the mcat was like 2 days away...(short term memory FTW!) and I got REALLY lucky on the essays as the topics were similar to the ones that were discussed, that I just basically used what ever was said in class (because my essay skills are very sub par, just ask anyone who's ever had the displeasure of proof reading my essays)

I'll be rewirting, and applying next year when I do biochem 2.

Biochem 2 won't really help you. Make sure you take Micro B, Genetics 1, and human phys 1 and 2. Organic 2 is helpful, not very much, but the organic on the MCAT is a joke compared to organic chem at UofM.

Biochem 2 won't really help you. Make sure you take Micro B, Genetics 1, and human phys 1 and 2. Organic 2 is helpful, not very much, but the organic on the MCAT is a joke compared to organic chem at UofM.

The only course I need is Biochem 2 to apply. as you need both biochem 1 & 2.

But I took biochem 1 a few years ago already, ditto with Organic 1...didn't like Organic 2 so I didn't finish it. I took all those other courses already for my first degree when I graduated.

This year is just a slacker year for me to boost up my GPA.

I only had one Organic Passage on my MCAT, which made me REALLY happy ^_^.

Hey... first post here... been lurking for awhile haha

I wrote August 2006 and got 34N for a 10.5 avg

Physical 12 Verbal 10 Biology 12 Writing Sample N (seriously no idea wtf happened in that section lol)

In my third year at U of M working on a Genetics Honours Degree but if I get in I'll definitely just take my 3 year general and run with it ;) GPA is slightly over 4 with pretty standard extracurriculars (tons of intramurals sports, volunteering at St. B, student councils, part time job through university, NSERC etc. Banking on a solid interview and hoping for the best.

Anyways, good luck to everyone and hope to see us all in there next year!

Archived