Premed 101 Forums

Course weights and transcript ...

Hello ...

I have a few questions regarding entering grades and such ...

(1) i've asked the university's registrar office to mail the transcript to U of C about two weeks before I entered any terms in the transcript section on the online app, should I ask the university to re-send the transcript?

(2) i wonder if anyone had "funny" course weights for their undergrad courses. Since I was in engineering, I had 3.0, 4.3, 4.8, 4.5, 2.5, etc. as course weights (3.0 is the usual semester weight, equiv to UofC's 0.5. Some courses have higher weights because there is an integrated lab component). For now, I just entered all of them as 0.5 ... but just wonder if anyone else here would do otherwise.

(3) the instructions mentioned "Grades may also be entered as P for pass when taken as pass/fail course for credit only. You are to enter only those courses taken for credit.". So for courses that I audited, I do not have to enter them at all, right?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

Fishy :rolleyes:

Hey fishy,

1. Nope, that should be fine. I don't think it makes any difference whether you enter your grades or they get the transcripts first, just as long as both are there by Nov 1.

2. I never had anything like that, but I think you're safe if you're going by the length of the course. If it was a full year, two-semester thing, I'd put it as a 1.0. If it was just a half year, one-semester course, I'd go with 0.5.

3. Yep, that's right. Even if you did enter an audited course, my understanding is those don't even appear on official transcripts and the university won't provide any official documentation regarding the course. Whatever is on your transcript should be entered.

Don't hesitate to give Adele/Susan an e-mail if you're still unsure. Best of luck with your apps!

a) Unfortunately I didn't read this until now and I have already sent in my transcript weeks earlier. I just completed the transcript section but the transcript stills shows up as not completed. Is anybody else seeing the same?

B) I know you are supposed to put whichever system (GPA or percentage) that gives you a higher score. Can I mix the two? As in, give the GPA for one course and percentage for another?

Hello ..

Yeah ... I called and spoke to Adele. She said "don't worry ... and don't bother to send in another transcript". Apparently they are processing close to a thousand transcripts, and it's just a matter of time before your transcript section will be marked "Received" on the online app.

And Daryn, about your question (B) - is it because you have taken courses from multiple universities? I mean if either using the alpha/numeric grade or percentage will give you the higher overall average, shouldn't you just stick with one OR the other and not mix the two? Or is it true that by mixing alpha/numeric and percentage, you can "boost" grades for courses which you did well, and "suppress" grades for courses you did bad? :rolleyes:

Fishy

hey fishy:

unfortunately I did not read this in time, nor did they email me back in time, I sent in yet another transcript, and this time it was by xpresspost (bye $)

I have only gone to one university. We are given both numeric percentages and GPAs. In some cases, my marks are higher in GPAs and in percentages for others.

(2) i wonder if anyone had "funny" course weights for their undergrad courses. Since I was in engineering, I had 3.0, 4.3, 4.8, 4.5, 2.5, etc. as course weights (3.0 is the usual semester weight, equiv to UofC's 0.5. Some courses have higher weights because there is an integrated lab component). For now, I just entered all of them as 0.5 ... but just wonder if anyone else here would do otherwise.

Hey, I have a couple funny courseweightings. I just rounded to the nearest number. I don't know what the official policy is though.

Yeah Smurfette, I asked Adele about that as well ... and she suggested putting "0.67" for those courses that have funny weightings (due to extra lab/seminar/... hours). So, for those courses that are like 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, i put "0.67"; and for the regular courses (which bear 3.0 weightings @ UofA) I put the UC equivalent of "0.5".

My understanding is that, the course weights do matter, to the extent the adcom will take that into consideration when looking at the overall transcript. Say, someone taking 6 heavy courses and getting a 3.70 gpa might be more appealing than someone taking 5 regular courses and getting a 3.72.

Hopefully my overall GPA will be higher after I readjust the weightings ... fingers crossed ... :confused:

Archived