Premed 101 Forums

Physics Pre-req?

Pre101

Hi i'm currently in my first year at UofT, and i'm taking a course called PHY100, "The Magic of Physics". It's not your typical first year life-sci physics course. I didn't take physics in highschool, so this is sort of my elective. I know american schools require you to have one physics credit. I'm wondering if this will count, considering it is a PHY course. thanks.

here's the course website:

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/PHY100S.html

I don't go to UofT, but I can take an educated guess and say no that will not count. You need general physics. Stuff that deals with Newtonian kinematics and dynamics, fluids, relativity, atomic decay and radioactivity, etc.

The only courses I think that would be appropriate that include the word "Magic" in the title would probably be an English course.

I don't think it will count. I think you should've taken PHY138Y (I think that's the course code...). I thought '100' courses at UofT weren't worth any credits or something like that...or wouldn't count towards a degree requirement. I can't remember exactly. But I think PHY138Y is the course to take for fulfilling the physics pre-req.

I don't think it will count. I think you should've taken PHY138Y (I think that's the course code...). I thought '100' courses at UofT weren't worth any credits or something like that...or wouldn't count towards a degree requirement. I can't remember exactly. But I think PHY138Y is the course to take for fulfilling the physics pre-req.

I'm pretty sure that is true Madz25. I believe the "Magic of Physics" is directed for an beginners in physics and for social science/humaities majors.

thanks guys. It is a physics course directed at humanities students. I took it because i've never taken physics before, and i'm too scared to take PHY138Y with no background (and i think grade 12 physics is a pre-req for it). damnit! i was hoping it would count.

thanks a lot for the input.

Any advice for someone who's never really taken physics before, but needs to get a credit for american schools?

thanks again.

Archived