Premed 101 Forums

Teaching for Kaplan/Princeton Review

rad86

While this is an old thread, we are always looking for new teachers, so I thought I'd give you some inside information.

I am responsible for interviewing, hiring and training teachers for Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions in a major Canadian city. Kaplan requires a MINIMUM of 90th percentile on any section you want to teach, though most of the people I hire have a 13 or 14 (don't let this discourage you if your score is a little lower). The score, however, only gets you in the door. After that you need to prove to me that you have the potential to be an excellent teacher. In the audition you must to demonstrate both comfort with the setting and enthusiasm for teaching. If you demonstrate a suitable combination then I will likely select you for training. Training is paid, and consists of both practice teaching and directed learning, though the details are proprietary, so I can't go into them.

If, at the end of training, you have advanced and are clearly ready to teach a class then you will be assigned to one. This only happens to trainees that I feel are excellent teachers. The numbers of hours you work depend on what you are teaching, the course schedule and how many courses are running simultaneously. It can be anywhere from 3 - 30+ hours a week. Be assured that you are paid for your pre- and post-class prep time. We at Kaplan value our instructors and do not neglect them.

Hopefully this answers your questions. If you have high scores and are intelligent, dynamic and enthusiastic, consider forwarding your resume to your local Kaplan centre. We are always on the lookout for new talent.

• 7 months later...

I have a question. Do Kaplan or Princeton ever only hire writing section teachers? I think I have a good grasp on this section...practiced like mad last year and got an S, and this year, didn't do too much, but got same score. I heard this is mostly mixed in with verbal though, which I only got in the 80th percentile (obviously not good enough to teach and I certainly don't want to teach it lol).

What's the minimum number of courses you have to teach to be hired? I suppose I could try for bio since I got 12, but it's not 13/14.

I have a question. Do Kaplan or Princeton ever only hire writing section teachers? I think I have a good grasp on this section...practiced like mad last year and got an S, and this year, didn't do too much, but got same score. I heard this is mostly mixed in with verbal though, which I only got in the 80th percentile (obviously not good enough to teach and I certainly don't want to teach it lol).

What's the minimum number of courses you have to teach to be hired? I suppose I could try for bio since I got 12, but it's not 13/14.

Heres what I know about Kaplan...

Min score on a section to teach: 12

Min courses you need to teach to get hired: 1

Teach WS exclusively: No. Its in the same section as VR

If you can, get a job with TPR--- they pay waaaay better.

i know kaplan ppl teaching w/ 11 in the section, so i dont think it's a hard-and-fast thing.

Thats true-- they'll only invite you though if you've got a 12+ in something else. So you still need a 12+ somewhere in your score.

So lets say you want to teach Physics, but you got an 11PS, and a 12BS. Well, audition to teach physics, and if they like you, you're set. But they grill you in the audition, since you didn't get a 12 and you need to prove yourself.

Archived