Premed 101 Forums

3.6cGPA, 36MCAT...IP chances?

White-Tiger

I hate to post these type of threads, but I am wondering...

I've got a very strong MCAT (36, PS14 BS12 V10)

My cGPA is mediocre at best, currently 3.54 but working on getting it to ~3.6 before application.

My ECs involve:

1.5 years of volunteering (over 220 hours) with Saint John Ambulance as a First Aider. Trained in First Aid, CPR level C, Oxygen, Defib, First Responder. I also was awarded the "recruit of the year" award for my division in the first year I joined.

Summer's worth of volunteering in two different hospitals (~60 hours) in Therapeutic Recreation in Geriatrics and Radiology.

Currently on my faculty's student council as VP Communications.

Still awaiting approval from Ottawa to enroll in the Canadian Forces Reserves as healthcare administration officer. Should have news before christmas and possibly enrollment before the admission deadline...

What do you people think my chances are at admission? I'm not asking for numbers here, but a general impression: Weak, Medium, Strong?

Still awaiting approval from Ottawa to enroll in the Canadian Forces Reserves as healthcare administration officer. Should have news before christmas and possibly enrollment before the admission deadline...

What do you people think my chances are at admission? I'm not asking for numbers here, but a general impression: Weak, Medium, Strong?

Sorry to get off topic, but do you need to be in the army to apply for a job like this. If not, it sounds like a great opportunity.

BTW, your application is strong. Unfortunately, Manitoba's deadline has passed but in case things don't work out well this year try applying there (they will appreciate your strong MCAT)

What do you mean by "be in the army"?

It's a position available within the regular and reserve force, so yes, you do need to enroll "in the army" to apply for that job. But if you do so in the reserves, you only serve part-time (usually some evening and weekends).

OK, I was curious as to whether anyone could apply for the job.

• 3 weeks later...

I imagine that with a good personal essay you'll def. get an interview, so don't blow it and you have good chances! 3.6 is not that low, although keep in mind that the GPA they use for admissions is only up till January, not beyond. (Though you still have to not suck in the winter term because they can rescind your acceptance if you do too badly.)

Good luck WhiteTiger (do I remember you from last cycle too?)

• 1 month later...
Nope. Didn't apply last cycle whatsoever.

Trustwomen, since you're now accepted at McGill...what do think my chances are good or not given a ~3.55cGPA?

I think it's impossible to predict based on one factor. You aren't a shoo-in, I think you know that, but the odds are in your favour (if you can get that GPA to a 3.6 before application time, they will improve even further - go study for finals and stop posting! ) :)

Remember that they send offers of acceptance to about 100 in-prov MDCMs, so if you get an interview you are 75% in. I do think you will get an interview with that MCAT. Your ECs are not bad. They aren't overwhelming, but they're in line with what most of my younger classmates have.

When (not if) you get that interview invite, then start stressing - I think it's gonna come down to interview performance. And of course the forums will be there for you then, too.

Archived