Premed 101 Forums

Very poor in physical sciences

LackingPhysics

Hi,

I was planning on writing the MCAT this summer. There is one thing that I am very worried about and that is the physical sciences section.

I have never, ever taken physics (not even physics 11) and this has definitely bit me in the ass during 1st and 2nd year chemistry. 2nd year physical chemistry is one of my lowest marks (71%). Taking this into consideration, would I be able to teach myself enough to get a high score in the physical sciences section in about 3 months or is it impossible?

Also, how much organic chemistry info is on the exam? Do you have to basically know everything from 2nd year organic chemistry (I have forgotten a lot of those mechanisms!), or is it fairly basic?

Thanks!

It depends on how mathematically inclined you are and how you are with abstract concepts. To tell you the truth, everything I know about physics was pretty much self taught. I have a tough time following what profs and teachers do on the board. My way of learning physics is simply slugging it out with a book. I got a 14 on the PS.

I'm not very mathematically inclined at all, that's what worries me. But I also don't find that I learn mathematical concepts from profs very well, so I would think there is no point in taking a course. I'm wondering if I should try to start studying this Christmas break or something (although there isn't a high chance that I would actually follow through with it). I don't know. Is there anyone else out there who has never, ever learned a section of the MCAT and ended up doing okay. If so, how did you do it?

Should I buy some sort of MCAT physics prep book (any recommendations for beginners?) or try to find a textbook, or what?

I didn't take university physics. On my first diagnostic, I received a score of 6 in PS, thanks to chemistry. I spent two months with TPR science workbook AND EK physics practicing like crazy.

The MCAT form I had wound up having more physics than chem (different from the breakdown I'd always been told). I was scared to death waiting for that score. I wound up with an 11, and I'm quite happy with it.

I had form FG of the August mcat sitting, and there were a ton of physics problems, but i only remember doing ONE calculation. I did pretty kickass in the PS section too...so even with subpar math skills, you stand to do well if you're good at digesting passage information.

you're no way near screwed. the beauty of PS is the more you try and practice, the better you get. that direct correlation isnt always so true in the BS and verbal. BS you can know a heck of a lot, and then find a passage on the real thing that is completely new, and get mashed. i find BS to be a lot of memorization at the least-- no one can deny that.

PS, more practice makes you that much better. PS was my best section and i did pretty spiffy, but not quite perfect. you can too!! best of luck boss.

Archived