Premed 101 Forums

If you did well on the WS..

whoithinkyouare

How do you do exceptionally well on the writing sample?

For those of you who scored well, did you go in with/memorize specific examples to use in your essays that would be broad enough to cover a wide range of the prompt questions?

Or did you come up with your examples on the spot and integrate them into a well organized essay?

Cheers

I'm not sure if you would consider my score "exceptionally well"...I got an R. What I did was just keep practicing. Soon you'll realize (even with the science sections) that the same themes come up and you can manipulate one example and apply it to many different questions. Maybe remember (not necessarily memorize) a few examples...but don't go too crazy with that...you'll have enough to memorize as it is with the phys sci formulae and physiology. I would have maybe 5 or 6 solid examples with ~5 key facts for each example (you don't need to know specifics or describe things elaborately).

Also, I think it works to stick with a plan to prevent you from going off-trail. The plan/formula that I used was TPR's: thesis (example supporting prompt), antithesis (example supporting the opposite of the prompt), and factor (describing a factor that can determine, in a given situation, whether the thesis or antithesis would apply).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I got an S on the writing sample. I have no idea how...i figure my essays from my first mcat attempt were the same quality, but in that sitting, i received an O.

I think there's a serious luck factor.

For god's sake, one of my essays was mainly based on Jack Tripper of Three's Company. Good ole Jack didn't let me down though.

I got an S and used Kaplan's method.

However, I read the prompts very carefully and found examples to fit those. I went into as much detail as I could on each paragraph elaborating on anything that might cause confusion. I was never absolute in any of my statements, so I tried to think of the weak points in my arguement, and address them so critics could not say....what about this?

However, I felt that one of the essay prompts was slightly different than what is usually given in the MCAT instructions and I thought that made a world of a difference in how I responded.

Good luck.

I got a R, so nothing as spectacular as those (so many of them too) who got S+. It was an improvement from N which I got last year.

Ok. This is probably no help. I did not practice until the night before. What I did was instead of writing the entire essay, I mentally forced myself to come up with decent examples and counterarguments (and their examples) in under ten minutes. I write fairly well so the rest took care of itself. The reason I scored low last year was that I wasn't used to thinking up examples/arguments for things I didnot necessarily care about in such small amount of time.

When you are thinking of examples, it helps to draw from a historical background. History has already been stereotyped so you won't be held against what you write. Popular culture is also okay. Just write about what you know, and try not to bash the US too much because...well..they are afterall Americans.

Just as an added note, on one of my examples, I came up with a hypothetical situation. Historical examples do help and my other essay in fact used a historical example, however, it is important to realize that if you know nothing historical about that subject, make something up that fits.

Is it okay to use a fictional example, even if you don't outline it as not real?

Also, if you have one good comparision example applicable to both essays, couldn't you use it for both sections? Arent your two essays marked by different people?

Yea that's exactly what I did. I thought of an example so that if it had happened, it would provide support for my essay. So I just threw it in there. However, I described it sort of as not being actually real.

Hi there,

I managed to score a couple of S marks on the two MCATs I last wrote. For the WS, I found that having some good knowledge of a couple of key figures helped, e.g., some leaders who you admire and for whom you'll be able to retain some info. (The two leaders I chose were Mandela and Gandhi.) I found, during practice sessions, that many prompts could be addressed using examples from either of their lives.

Another strategy I used was to compile a list of ten neat or interesting words that I'd write down at the beginning of each essay that I tackled. I'd try to find ways in which to incorporate as many of those words as possible--most times I'd find room for five of them. In stressful writing situations it's easy to revert back to English basics and lose creativity or ingenuity, so I felt that having those words handy, at the top of the page, reminded me to include them and perhaps spruced up my essays a little more.

Oh, and needless to say, follow the instructions or all of the above advice will be moot. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey I got a terrible WS the first time I wrote it (it's the reason I re-wrote it). Then I got an okay score the second time. I think what happened the first time was that I didn't quite follow the formula for how you're supposed to answer the question. I didn't take a Princeton/Kaplan prep course, so I didn't have that pounded into me. I had always been a decent writer so I just assumed I would do well. I did a couple practice essays and that's it. I was shocked when I got my mark back. So make sure you follow the structure that they're looking for! If you follow the outline, you should do okay even if you're not a great writer.

yah... it is because of my WS that I am planning on re-taking the MCAT :(

I consider myself to be a decently good essay writer, but I think I need to make some changes for the next time through. I had written well supported and contrasted essays that answered the questions - however I did not directly answer the prompt questions by saying "The definition of this is " or "an example of this is". I think going into a more rooted answer had cost me marks from not bluntly answering the prompt at the beginning of each paragraph.

then again I'll never know

anyway thanks for the tips

I'm not trying to gloat in the slightest because my score was mediocre, but I did absolutely no prep for the essay section (I honestly didn't) and came out with a Q. I attribute this to FOLLOWING what they ask for. I answered ALL of the questions in the prompt. I also ate lunch with someone who was memorizing quotes so during my essay I added impersonal quotes such as, "A wise man once said, 'Blah, blah, blah'". I also made sure to use examples.

Moral of my post: Answer all parts of the prompt (I think they're all pretty similar from one essay to the next), and make use of examples/quotes. Oh ya, and if I could do it over again (which I'm not going to), I would practice!

PS-I haven't read through the thread so I'm probably regurgitating what someone has already said.

Good luck!

I wrote some pretty crappy essays. I even referenced The Simpsons episode about Michaelangelo's David when I was trying to come up with something for the art censorship prompt. I think everyhting just went in circles...still somehow managed a Q. It's a very random process...just follow the Kaplan formula.

LOL! I LOVE it! For what it's worth, if I was marking the essays and read one with a well-integrated Simpsons quote I would give it an automatic T!! :D

Archived