Premed 101 Forums

THE MCMASTER BACHELOR OF HEALTH SCIENCES PROGRAM

Guest triumph

Guest borboleta10

Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm sure you know that no undergrad program *guarantees* med school acceptance by virtue of the program itself...you still have to do well in it.

A high proportion of Mac's BHSc grads do go on to med school, but that doesn't mean that it's easier to get into med school from that program.

It's a program of high achievers who would likely do well no matter where they went for undergrad...but maybe having a smaller program with more individual attention, a collegial peer group, more opportunities to get to know profs one-on-one, etc. etc. does help when it comes to application time.

I have to reiterate what many people have said before on this board: pick an undergrad program because you think it's best for you, and because you will thrive in that particular type of learning environment/community, and *not* because you think it'll help you get into med school....

good luck with your decision...

Guest Spencer

Hey Triumph,

Congrats on your acceptance!

Would you mind sharing some of your stats? Are you a high school applicant? Undergrad student?

What are your marks like?

I'm just curious to know at this point how McMaster is treating each application.

Thanks for any input!

Spencer

Guest PanjabiMD

Hey, congratulations on your acceptance! It is a very difficult program to get into, and I mean VERY DIFFICULT.

As for being a guaranteed medical school spot waiting for you, I would say that their isn't. Nothing is guaranteed, but statistics say that a high percentage of people in that program go on to medical school. That is probably because of the type of people that they bring and attract to the program, and I would assume that it is set up so you can be successful (and by that, I do NOT mean easier).

Everyone always says that you should pick the program that is best for you, and you have to ask yourself if this is that program.

I would also be interested in hearing about your stats if you are comfortable with that!

Once again, congratulations!

Guest triumph

Hey Thanx Guys

To SPENCER

My Marks are:

Grade 12 Biology = 97

Grade 12 Chemistry = 93

Grade 12 English = 91

Calculus = 97

Philosophy = 94

P.E. = 94

:smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

just killed myself in grade 12

buring the midnight oil.... just burning the midnight oil.....

Guest studentz

yes you should. To this day I regret not taking my place in the first class. Everyone I've ever met in the program loved it and the small classes will be a big benefit re: reference letters later, unless of courses you want to go to Western for med, cuz UWO apparently doesn't consider the reference.

Guest 4shattered4

Congratz on your acceptance!

Just wondering though, is it that difficult to get into that program? I knew people who got in with high 80s, and that's just like the cut-off for some engineering programs. I think eng. sci @ U of T is probably a bit harder to get in.

So people shouldn't be discouraged to apply to Health Sci :P It's always good to give things a try =)

Guest fierysweet

I think you should go. From what I hear, it sounds like a good program and an interesting set-up. Nothing guarantees an admission to meds, but if you can keep up the good work and take advantage of this program at Mac, I think that your chances will be very good.

Guest triumph

hm...

the BHSc program at Mac allows you to graduate pon completion of Level III, and most people get into med school do you think that you should just go to med school after year #3?????????????????????????????????????

For those of you looking for undergraduate programs that give you a great intro to Medicine...think about Medical Laboratory Science-at UBC, U of A and, Ontario Institute of Technology, University of New Brunswick and maybe more schools in Canada that I am not aware of.

Guest PanjabiMD

Well, I am not in medical school, I am not even in university yet...but I will give you my input anyways.

You probably would benefit from applying to medical schools after third year, as it will give you some insight into the process and give you some interview experience. You may even get in. However, I would definitely do the four year program, because it gives you an opportunity to do an honors thesis and get more research experience in the event that you do not get admission to medical school after third year. After that extra year, I would think that you will have much more things to write for your autobiographical sketches and a lot more things to talk about during your interviews. There are probably many more benefits of doing 4th year that can only be explained after being experienced.

By the way, is your school semestered or non-semestered?

PanjabiMD

Guest kaymcee

I'll throw a "no" answer into the "Should I accept the offer?" poll. I don't think you should go.

Let's face it, pre-meds can be high-strung lunatics who pride themselves in their oneupmanship. Lucky for the general population, those that are like this tend to burn themselves out or be weeded out by admissions committees who see the murderous look in their eyes. This sieving allows for a better learning environment in medical school, but can make your years of undergrad miserable. Ask around for the stories from Queen's Health Science or other similar programs where the large majority of its participants see themselves with stethoscopes around their necks.

I think there is something to be said about to going to a smaller university (without a medical school) to learn in a less competitive environment. Besides, whether you get a BMus at the University of Northern British Columbia or a BSc at Toronto has no bearing on your chances to be accepted to medical school. It's what you do during your degree (extra-curriculars, grades, etc.) that makes the difference.

I also understand the desire to use your absolutely stellar high school marks "to the best of their ability". After all, you got into a highly competitive program, so why shouldn't you go for it? Ultimately, the choice is yours. Although I can be a competitive person (Scrabble in my house is a cutthroat event), I couldn't stand being in an environment where nearly everyone is vying for the same prize.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but if anyone has something to add that is opposite to my line of thought, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Guest medeng

triumph,

i hate to sound like a wet towel, but i think you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself

and most people get into med school

While the mac program (from what I hear) is very good and there are very good students in it who stand a good chance of getting into meds, it by no means "guarantees" you a spot into meds... kaymcee brings up some good points, what you do outside of the class is just as important as what you do in class, and WAY more important than which program you went to.

If you think you can be very involved while in a competitive, challenging program, then by all means go for it, but if you think you will be able to be more involved in other activities in another program (which will make your undergrad more enjoyable, 4 (or 3) yrs will seem like a long time to spend if you're ONLY doing it to get into meds, have some fun along the way :b ) Basically, I guess I am agreeing with the opinion that has been stated ad nauseam in this forum, pick the program that you will enjoy the most, that is whats going to matter for getting into meds, not the name of the school on your transcript...

Guest wattyjl

it is very true that many of the Mac BHSc's are vying for a place in medschool, and thus the atmosphere will be somewhat competetive. however, while there are always a few crazy medschool keeners, the majority of students i've interacted with in that program are great people. because the program stresses pbl for some classes, helping others in the program becomes manditory and so diffuses some of the 'oneupmanship' mentality.

here's the most obvious statement in the world: it's all individual. some people will excel being in an environment that pushes them, others might thrive in a more relaxed program, one has to decide for oneself.

if you're interested in biology/health and want a social spin on it, and want to be challenged to work pretty hard but not go crazy (it's not like it's eng. phys. or anything) go for it.

Guest SamMD

Dont accept because of the proportion of students who get into med school.

Accept because the program emphasizes application of core concepts and development of core competencies/skillsets rather than regurgitation of information.

Having said that, not everyone is interested in developing a skillset (many colleagues in the program included). So reputation alone should not be your reason for selection.

Guest blinknoodle

No matter where you go, keep an open mind. Explore different areas of health, science, social science, humanities, etc. Involve yourself in diverse learning experiences. A lot can happen in two or three or four years, believe me. Enjoy your time at university - it is not just a means to an end.

Personally, I found that during my undergrad, collaboration was instrumental to a safe, engaging and productive learning environment. The trick is how to foster that successfully.. and whatever program you pick, the dynamics will be a manifestation of those in the group and how you choose to act.

Guest coastalslacker

Okay, reality check. Mac Health Sci IS as close to a guarantee of getting into med school as you can possibly have when you're starting your undergrad degree. There are numerous health sci's in my class and other med schools, all of whom got in after three years. TONNES of Mac health scis interviewed here at Queens, amazing considering the small number of students in the program. Obviously, not everyone gets into med school because lots of people f-it-up, however, health sci seems to groom you for meds and other health related professional programs.

In terms of maturity and life experience, the reality is that one more year of university education will not give you much more life experience since it is, usually, more of the same bs you've experienced for the previous three years. There are exceptions. I've seen no real difference between people who've done 3 or 4 year degrees. University seldom gives you a wide range of life experience, it's a cocoon.

The environment, I've heard, demands that people perform and people generally do. If you surround yourself with keeners, it will rub off on you and you will become even keener. With the kind of marks the original poster posted in high school, I'm guessing he/she is sickeningly keen (or brilliant). Someone made the comment that university is not just a means to an end, you should enjoy your time there. I've heard many people in health sci enjoy their time very much because of the small class and opportunity to get to know their classmates very well. Interestingly, since Mac Health Sci has become so competitive (because it is seen as a path to med school), the character of the students in the program may evolve into an over-preponderance of people who spent their entire life in high school chained to their desk.

Would I have gone: no way. But I'm not very keen, wasn't interested in meds when I entered university, and get put off my anxiety-ridden people. Should other people go: if they're the kind of people who get the marks in high school to get into a program as competitive as mac health sci, they're probably the kind of person who will thrive in that environment and enjoy it.

Guest peachy
if they're the kind of people who get the marks in high school to get into a program as competitive as mac health sci, they're probably the kind of person who will thrive in that environment and enjoy it.
I'm quite certain that there are also tons of people with high 90's averages in high school who aren't particularly competitive and who wouldn't thrive in a competitive environment! Like everybody else said, pick what you think that you'll love! You don't want to always wonder what would have happened if you had done that other program that you were really passionate about.

And remember, it's pretty easy to transfer programs (or even schools!) if you find that you don't like what you've picked after first (or second!) year. I think there's a tendancy for people to act like the decision about what university to attend is set in stone for the rest of your life, making it much more momentous than it has to be. You can switch programs, you can switch schools, you can take time off, you can travel, you can work, and you can develop a love for philosophy or filmmaking or marine biology. Pick what you like and give it a spin, you aren't locking in for life! :)

This is actually quite humerous. It is funny to see how innocent high school students can be. Even to suggest that "I hear medical school admissions is guaranteed" is rediculous. Firstly, I imagine that many "pre-med keeners" come from either a biology based or health science based background and this would account for the high number of health science students that get interviews and, ultimately, gain acceptance; however, nothing was guaranteed. To be quite honest, after countless hours volunteering, being involved in numerous extracurriculars and studying excessively long hours, ask yourself if it was guaranteed. I am certain you will have a different opinion. As for the choice in program, I believe you should go towards one that you will enjoy. Health science is definitely not all that it is hyped up to be and if you have a passion for the physical sciences, then entering health science may be a bad choice. As I alluded to earlier, you will be studying 100 fold what you do now in high school; therefore, you should choose a program that offers courses you know you will enjoy studying for, which will then reflect in your final marks. I have numerous friends that have choosen to venture down the health science path for the same reason you are, needless to say, it wasn't what they expected. Are you aware of what courses you will be taking or even how you are tested??? I would do some research before you choose your final resting place for the next 3 to 4 years. So, I offer some words of wisdom: Do not think that medical school admissions are guaranteed. If you do, you are setting yourself up for disaster. Continue to work hard and best of luck in the future.

TS

Guest coastalslacker

"Firstly, I imagine that many "pre-med keeners" come from either a biology based or health science based background and this would account for the high number of health science students that get interviews and, ultimately, gain acceptance; however, nothing was guaranteed"

Not talking about health science, biology based background "in general". The Mac Health Sci program, 'in particular' is a small program with something like 100 people, about one third of whom got accepted to medical schools last year after only 3 years of undergrad. That is a phenomenal rate for any program, crazy for after just three years. Many of those who did not get accepted, or, did not apply last year, will undoubtably gain acceptances this year. Again, this is 'as close to a guarantee' (note the 'as close to', please), as you can get for med school.

Guest mm201

I do not see how students from any program would ‘on average’ have an easier time getting into medical school unless the distribution of marks in that program does not follow a normal distribution (or something close to it). If it were true, then this is quite unfair considering how much weight medical schools place solely on the numeric value of ones GPA. Most likely, the amount of people with competitive GPAs from the Mac health science is no different than from any school or program.

On the other, it might be easier for an individual to get in following one program vs another. I will echo what was said before: you need to enjoy what you are studying. Some people can push themselves and do well just for the sake of doing well, others cannot. I believe the majority of people belong to the second group. If you enjoy what you are studying it does not even seem so much like work.

I certainly do not believe that going to Mac health science will make it easier for you to get into medical school because Mac health science students get some special treatment. It might make it easier for you if the particular circumstances of this program will make you more competitive than other students. To figure this out you need to know yourself and the program.

Guest SamMD

Coastalslacker, that is 100% false (first hand knowledge).

The only advantage that Health Sci's have over other students is that their program emphasizes the same core competencies and professional behaviour skills that medical schools focus upon. So to BHSc. students, concepts such as evidence-based medicine, psychosocial determinents of health, inquiry/research, ethical decision making, patient centered communication are all part of their undergraduate studies and are second nature.

Guest MikeD

I'm curious on the 1/3 of the class was accepted after third year comment. So realistically that translates into greater than (or much greater than) 1/3 of the class with GPAs over ~ 3.6, probably more like 3.7. Are the class averages also so high?

If marks aren't being floated up, or a decent amount of people aren't doing poor to offset the high marks, I'd argue the students aren't being challenged enough. With so many people doing so well, you'd think the difficulty of the core courses taken by everyone would be turned up a couple of notches. In my engineering program (and a lot of other small programs out there) I'm pretty sure everyone had > 90 in high school, but the exams reflected that so class averages were in the 65-75 range. Maybe not all department heads make a stink if the class average is high.

Archived