Premed 101 Forums

laptops in med school

HannaLee

Do any of the med schools require a specific type of laptop? i am thinking of getting the macbook and wanted to know if any programs and such would be compatible.

I'm looking into purchasing a new laptop for myself (mine is super old, and b/c it's heavy it sort of defeats the purpose of being a laptop).

Do any of the med schools require a specific type of laptop? i am thinking of getting the macbook and wanted to know if any programs and such would be compatible.

I'm looking into purchasing a new laptop for myself (mine is super old, and b/c it's heavy it sort of defeats the purpose of being a laptop).

I can only really speak to U of T's use of 'em-- you don't need a laptop. If you're going to go to U of T and want to get one any one will do. Aside from that, I know that in Ottawa, they force you to buy a specific laptop... that is they essentially rammed one specific type down your throat.

Hi there,

It seems that an increasing number of folks in our medical school (UofC) are using laptops in classes and small groups. However, like UofT, you can use whichever laptop you like. Any programs that are required at Calgary, e.g., access to a Palm, etc., are compatible with Mac. (I'm a Mac convert and have no issues with any of our programs nor related software.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Just to elaborate on Ottawa.. you need a PC-laptop or a mac that can run windows because the PBL software isn't mac-compatible. Yes we have tablet PCs than about 95% of the class uses, but the other 5% stick to their old laptops and that's fine.. but yes you do need A laptop cause our curriculum's e-based so u use it in lectures, PBL, PSD, etc.

Archived