Premed 101 Forums

Classes

I've just started researching UofC and was wondering, how similar is the course structure to McMaster's?

I know UofC is less traditional in structure, but how "left wing" is it? For example, do you still have some classes like anatomy, biochem, cadaver labs etc?

I've just started researching UofC and was wondering, how similar is the course structure to McMaster's?

I know UofC is less traditional in structure, but how "left wing" is it? For example, do you still have some classes like anatomy, biochem, cadaver labs etc?

Not sure about bchem...or how similar it is to Mac, cuz I don't know how Mac works. There are traditional classes though, that's what I've heard from my friends in it. Also, if you wanna check out all their courses, go to http://www.ucalgary.ca/infonet then click "services for students", and then on your right side column, click on "master time-table" (under services not requiring signon). In there, scroll down and click on MDCN (or something like that), to see all the courses for medicine, there should also be calendar descriptions linked to it. Infonet goes down 11 pm every night for maintenance... but it will be back up tomorrow for you to check.

I have very little knowledge about what goes on at Mac, but the curriculum just changed here at Calgary. We don't have any formal courses on anatomy, biochemistry, pharmacology, cadaver dissection, etc. The curriculum is structured around the 120 +/- 5 clinical presentations a patient can have, and is taught primarily in systems courses where starting this year, systems are paired around similar presentations. The systems courses run one at a time for a few months, then you switch to a new system. We do get lectures on anatomy, pharmacology, and basic science, and we are evaluated on it, but it isn't taught formally on its own. There are many opportunities to go into the anatomy lab and do stuff with cadavers, but it's mostly up to you how you're going to learn anatomy.

We spend at least half of every day during the week doing stuff related to the systems course. Besides traditional powerpoint-style lectures, we'll do about 4-6 hours per week of small group case studies, and occasionally a real patient will come in to tell us about a particular disease that they have. The systems courses are also supplemented by clinical correlation sessions, where we spend about 6 hours per system in a Calgary hospital with a preceptor visiting and occasionally examining patients who have relevant diseases or presentations.

Besides the systems courses, we have longitudinal courses that run alongside. Healthy Populations is pretty much the sociology of health. Medical Skills covers physical exam, ethics, communications/history taking, well physician, culture/health/& wellness, and procedural skills.

I don't wanna retype the student handbook, but I know that's a little brief. Just ask if you want more details on specific things. I don't mind sharing about the program because it is a damn good program and I hope people reading this will feel confident in choosing Calgary if it's an option. There are lots of other first-years who read this board and I'm sure will gladly answer questions as well, or correct anything stupid I wrote. :)

Archived