Premed 101 Forums

Applying after doing 2 undegraduate degrees

Pablum

Hi

Got a question

I actually did not have any intentions of applying to Medical school when I first started my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. But we were given the option to do a minor in bio engineering in the 3yr year and this got me interested in pursuing medical school since I prefer the biology part to engineering any day. I dont like ant of my classes rite now but since I have already done 3 yrs I might as well complete my degree. The problem is my marks are not up to the standards required for medical school application. I have slightly under a 3.0GPA.

I was thinking of doing another undergrad degree is like health sciences and hopefully I will then have the required cutoff GPA. My question is how will the medical schools calculate my GPA. Will they take both my degrees into account or will they only take the most recent one I have done.

Any input would be appreciated

My question is how will the medical schools calculate my GPA. Will they take both my degrees into account or will they only take the most recent one I have done.

Every school is different. For example, Western consideres the best 2 years from your most recent degree, Queens considers your last 2 years regardless of what program(s) you were in while completing them, UBC takes into account your entire undergrad history, and so on. So it's best to check each school's criteria separately as they tend to be quite specific.

I'm sort of in the same situation...

I did a Biology hodge/podge degree, but started out in business first, then I did a 2nd degree in Rehab Med. My grades from rehab are much better b/c I was much more stimulated/interested in the coursework.

Most schools look at your whole history I think. Obvious to me, it seems easier to apply as an in province applicant. Your own province may be more "forgiving" and review you holistically as opposed to just looking at your entire GPA and how high your MCATs are. It is a difficult journey...

Archived