Premed 101 Forums

Prerequistes

I've got a question that is sort of embarrassing...

I got As in the Organic Chem, B+ in Inorganic, B+ English, and B+ Physics prerequistes however....but I got a "D" in Biochem 300 from UVIC. I think I have various good reasons for this however...., I did not realize that even if I retake it now, that UBC will still look at my 1st attempt. I took this course over 10 years ago...since then, I've become an Occupational Therapist and graduated from UBC's school of rehab with an overall A average. Now that I've been working in the field for a while I'm interested in medicine...anyway, long story but I thought perhaps I would just retake Biochem to upgrade my score however....it looks like I can't even do this. I have "heard" about the 10 year "grace" rule...however, I don't want to give up the grades I got in the other prerequisites like Chemistry etc....

Is "D" technically a failing grade? (I know it is sort of a stupid question)...

My UVIC transcripts indicate that it is "marginal performance" level and within the Pass cutoff...however, I wonder what UBC thinks? Are there any others in the same boat as I am?....thx.

Hi there,

Technically, if your "D" still permitted you to receive credit for the course then it should not be considered to be a failing grade.

As for the 10 year rule, if you'd like to erase that course from consideration at UBC then you would also have to throw out any other courses for which you received credit greater than 10 years ago. You would also need to re-take any courses that you were using as pre-requisites that were discarded due to the 10 year rule.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks Kristeen,

I knew there was a catch to the 10 year rule. It would be really difficult to give up my other prerequisites and those grades...because I'm not even sure I'd do any better this time. I'm trying for an interview this year but if I don't get one then perhaps I'll just retake Biochem and try hard to get a better grade. I guess I could probably redo my MCAT too and try and boost that (I got all 9s and a P in August taking it the first time). Not so hot but maybe "good enough" along with my degree in rehab from UBC (OT) and extracurrics/life exp.

I guess I'll just continue the waiting game, volunteering and working and see what happens. I've been contemplating registering for the Jan MCAt but don't want to make any "moves" until I find out of they will interview my in Feb. If not, I guess I'll retake it in April. thx...

Thanks Kristeen,

I knew there was a catch to the 10 year rule. It would be really difficult to give up my other prerequisites and those grades...because I'm not even sure I'd do any better this time. I'm trying for an interview this year but if I don't get one then perhaps I'll just retake Biochem and try hard to get a better grade. I guess I could probably redo my MCAT too and try and boost that (I got all 9s and a P in August taking it the first time). Not so hot but maybe "good enough" along with my degree in rehab from UBC (OT) and extracurrics/life exp.

I guess I'll just continue the waiting game, volunteering and working and see what happens. I've been contemplating registering for the Jan MCAt but don't want to make any "moves" until I find out of they will interview my in Feb. If not, I guess I'll retake it in April. thx...

If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply???

Hi Kristeen,

I've applied to UBC and I am in the process of applying to U of C. My dad and all my bros and sisters live in Calgary, but I grew up in Victoria with my mom, and did all my schooling there. So, unless I get in province status in Alberta, I think it would be throwing my money down the toilet to apply at U of C (even though I like their program too). I think my only hope is in-province at UBC b/c of my MCATs. My MCATS aren't high enough to meet U of C's cut off for OPA. I feel badly though b/c my references have already been started for U of C but now that I got my MCATs back I don't think it is worth it. I wish U of C asked for refs after reviewing applicants and figuring out who will be interviewed like UBC...saves everyone alot of work.

Hi Kristeen,

I've applied to UBC and I am in the process of applying to U of C. My dad and all my bros and sisters live in Calgary, but I grew up in Victoria with my mom, and did all my schooling there. So, unless I get in province status in Alberta, I think it would be throwing my money down the toilet to apply at U of C (even though I like their program too). I think my only hope is in-province at UBC b/c of my MCATs. My MCATS aren't high enough to meet U of C's cut off for OPA. I feel badly though b/c my references have already been started for U of C but now that I got my MCATs back I don't think it is worth it. I wish U of C asked for refs after reviewing applicants and figuring out who will be interviewed like UBC...saves everyone alot of work.

Yeah, no kidding:D Good luck with the up and coming application cycle:)

Archived