Premed 101 Forums

link to admission requirements

Because of the approach UofC has taken towards pre-medical study requirements. They want to encourage applicants from different backgrounds (ie. not just biology majors) to apply, and recognize that people coming from non-science backgrounds might not be able to easily take all of the courses but could still be very strong applicants. For that reason, the courses are very strongly recommended, but not absolutely required.

I honestly couldn't tell you, unfortunately. I'm not even sure if there would be some sort of standardized deduction, or if it's just up to whoever is reviewing your file whether or not they give you a lower score.

Your one term of calculus actually completes that recommendation, since the calculus/statistics is an either/or thing. Not having physics might give you a slightly lower score, but I doubt it's much to really worry about. Hopefully another student who's sat on the adcom can tell you more about what happens when a course isn't there. :)

Hi ...

I called admissions and asked the same question. And unfortunately the honest answer is "it's hard to say". I was in Electrical Eng, and consequently didn't have the Bio/Org chem courses; so that would put me in a bit of disadvantage. On ther other hand, my other recommended courses are pretty strong (physics, calculus, chem) so that could be an advantage. While I am not sure if it's a completely subjective/objective process, I do think the adcom will be given some guidelines regarding how that 50% should be assigned. And come to think of it, we are all graded by 4 people for a total of 400 points. I do feel that it's as fair as it can get; given some schools assign only one person per application! :)

Fishy

Archived