Premed 101 Forums

Taking the MCAT with no organic chem background

paperweight

KennethToronto is right. It isn't a major part of the MCAT anymore, however, teaching yourself organic chemistry is something I would personally avoid if I could. Also, you get the pleasure of experiencing organic chemistry in more depth than the MCAT...its really interesting stuff.

Yeah I'd recommend waiting until after you've done orgo courses to do the mcat...but it can be done without any orgo background because you don't need advanced knowledge for the mcat. Use something like Kaplan Comprehensive Review to guide you and refer to a textbook on topics you find difficult. It can be overwhelming at times when you're trying to teach yourself all these reactions...but try & keep things in perspective...it seems that the mcat is emphasizing genetics more than orgo these days (that's what I found this past August!)...so as long as you're strong in the other areas of the biological sciences section (eg physiology, genetics, cell bio, biochem), you don't have to be an orgo god to do really well in this section. So don't get too stressed out about every single little thing in orgo...Good luck!

Hey there,

It sounds as though the MCAT content is changing a fair bit, but when I wrote it, and from what I've heard since, there remains more Orgo on the MCAT than Biochemistry. Mind you, if you include all the enzyme questions and lump DNA/RNA synthesis under the big umbrella of Biochemistry then Biochemistry might win.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived