Premed 101 Forums

Qualifying as In Province?

I was born in Ontario and was there for some of my childhood. I am a BC Resident now, and have lived here most of my life. I have never considered applying in Ontario as I assumed I would be considered out of province. I'm wondering if anyone knows if someone like me may be granted "In province" priveleges being that I was born there and spent time there as a child?

I know that UBC grants others "in province" priveleges if they are not currently residents but have a valid history in BC. Is Ontario the same?

PS) I'm not meaning to double post...as I started to ask this question in another Forum but it was not the right place to ask it...hoping for some answers here. thx.

I think that many of the schools in Ontario have no OOP quota (like the one UBC has). I know Ottawa makes it more difficult for people outside of the Ottawa region, but other than that I'm not really sure if any other school care what province you are from (meaning you have any equal chance as anybody from Ontario).

I know Ottawa makes it more difficult for people outside of the Ottawa region, but other than that I'm not really sure if any other school care what province you are from (meaning you have any equal chance as anybody from Ontario).

Actually, Mac gives 90% of interview positions to Ontario residents and 10% to OOP applicants. To qualify as an Ontario resident, you need to have spent 3 years living in Ontario since the age of 14.

So, for the three year clause, what if we've lived here attending 4 years of univeristy, but our permanent address is elsewhere and we go home every summer?

No worries, attendance at a university for 3 years qualifies you as an Ontario resident for Mac, which will be evident in your transcript.

Western looks at where you went to high school. I've been living in Ontario for the past 7 years, attended university in Ontario and living here permanently now with a full time job, yet because I went to high school in BC, i'm considered out of province. But I believe they look at OOP applicants as equivalent to in province. Only applicants from SWOVEN area gets special "privilege"

U of Ottawa, you'll be considered out of province and they are high cutoff for OOP applicants. They look at the permanent address given on your application and you need to have lived there at least 2 years.

I think U of T and Queen's treat in-province and OOP as equivalent.

McMaster, what TonesRN said. They don't look at your permanent address to determine your geographical status. They look at your ABS to determine that.

Northern Ontario highly favours applicants from Northern ontario, so if you are not from those areas, I hear you have a very small chance.

• 1 year later...

hey, how does U of O determine your geographical status? is it just from your current home address? I was wondering because I lived in ottawa for 4 years during highschool but I don't think there was any place to put that on the application....

Archived