Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

• 1 month later...

You have the best of both worlds. Apply as a Canadian to Canada and as an American to the US - I have the same advantage and it has not caused me any problems so far. However, you will be out of state for every school in the US and the tuition fees may be substantially higher.

I have dual Canadian/American citizenship- does anyone know whether I would qualify as a 'regular' American applicant or would I be classified as a Canadian applicant? I have never actually lived in the states.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
hey guys,

im a canadian applying to american medical school for the 2012/2013 cycle with a 3.7 gpa and a 31R MCAT. Assuming my ECs are above average, what are my possible choices for schools?

any help would be appreciated.

Your chances are good if you apply broadly.

hey guys,

im a canadian applying to american medical school for the 2012/2013 cycle with a 3.7 gpa and a 31R MCAT. Assuming my ECs are above average, what are my possible choices for schools?

any help would be appreciated.

mid tiers would be your best shot, IMO.:) But it is always good to have a range of schools. Focus on the mid tiers, but also apply to 2 or so top tiers, then 2 or so bottom tiers.

That's my 2 cents.

As a canadian, 3.7 and 31 puts you competitive for low tiers

"low tiers" like WAyne, GWU, CMS tends to accept Canadians with your stats or higher. "mid tiers" like dartmouth tend to accepts 3.8+ 33+. Ofcourse you can get into those, but the odds are not in your favor. I would apply to most low tiers, 2-3 mid tiers and maybe 1-2 dream schools

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I could get some insight into my situation, any constructive help would be appreciated:

I have a 3.73 GPA and am expecting an MCAT of around 33-36 (I Know its not the best idea to do it with guess work). Unfortunately from my understanding my MCAT score needs to be sent out before I can be looked at seriously so this will not be possible until mid-late AUGUST. With decent EC's what kind of a list of schools should i be focusing on if I would like to apply in this cycle at that time?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm also wondering what american schools I should be looking at applying to as a canadian.

GPA (according to OMSAS)

1st - 3.65

2nd - 3.65

3rd - 3.93

4th - 3.94

MCAT - 15 BS, 13 PS, 11 VR, Q WS

ECs - Varsity football (4 yrs), research (2 yrs) and some other stuff

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, I'm also wondering what american schools I should be looking at applying to as a canadian.

GPA (according to OMSAS)

1st - 3.65

2nd - 3.65

3rd - 3.93

4th - 3.94

MCAT - 15 BS, 13 PS, 11 VR, Q WS

ECs - Varsity football (4 yrs), research (2 yrs) and some other stuff

Removing your worst year, you end up with 3.84 GPA. That is competitive in Canada so why would you want to apply to US schools?

Also, your MCAT is ridiculous. 39Q is very very good. Decent ECs too. If that was me, I'd apply to Canadian schools and feel pretty good about my chances of getting into medical school.

Now that I am being more realistic about not getting into Western off the regular wait list, I am looking at American Schools. I have dual citizenship and can apply as an American...

omsas gpa is 3.7

32Q mcat - tons of ecs, volunteering and some clinical research...

but it seems like when I translate my Western undergrad marks to Amcas - I get a higher gpa -- I have lots of marks over 85 and 90, but also a couple of disasters.. Is it true that since an A at western is 80 to 89 that it would be a 4.0 on the amcas scale? Will I have a higher gpa? Is there hope????

Hi.

Going into my last year at McGill as an undergrad. Majored in Pharmacology. I was born/lived in Ottawa prior to McGill.

My cGPA is 3.89, MCAT is 32O. (9 VR, 11 PS, 12 BS). Worked 2 summers in a lab.

I haven't even begun AMCAS (haven't asked around for LOR/haven't written my personal statement).

Is it worth applying to American medical schools, given that rolling admissions begin very soon and I haven't even started my applications? Or am I decently competitive here in Canada?

Thanks in advanced

Hi.

Going into my last year at McGill as an undergrad. Majored in Pharmacology. I was born/lived in Ottawa prior to McGill.

My cGPA is 3.89, MCAT is 32O. (9 VR, 11 PS, 12 BS). Worked 2 summers in a lab.

I haven't even begun AMCAS (haven't asked around for LOR/haven't written my personal statement).

Is it worth applying to American medical schools, given that rolling admissions begin very soon and I haven't even started my applications? Or am I decently competitive here in Canada?

Thanks in advanced

I think your GPA and MCAT are fine; good chances at least half the Canadian schools. You're probably at a disadvantage if you applied to AMCAS now cause you'll need time to polish your application. Start on your applications for Can schools now, submit them in the fall, and, if things don't work out well, recycle your applications for AMCAS next June.

BTW, congrats on going into U3 Pharma. Curriculum wise, I'd say it's the best year. You'll also get to meet imo the best pharma profs.

Hello. I've been browsing through MSAR online to find schools that have INT student matriculating. I'm not sure which to apply to.

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.79

MCAT: 32

ECs: NSERC, Bio Prize from UofT, 500+ neurology shadowing at ALS and stroke, conferences, 3 years of research experience (no pubs, but only acknowledgements), 3 years uni soccer, business owner, TA-ed for 3 years for Physics and Chem.

Should I even bother applying to Darthmouth, Stanford, Albert E, Penn State, Hopkins, Northwestern, Sinai, and NYSM?

Could you please add more insight into which schools i should apply to?

With a 32 MCAT (you'll really need a >35) and a <3.8 cGPA, don't bother with the very top schools like Stanford or Sinai or Northwestern (Stanford & Northwestern statistically discriminate against internationals in the first place, and plenty of Canadians apply to those). Realistically you should aim for the schools that are below Top 10 or even Top 25. If you can get your MCAT to something like a 35 or above, your chances are going to improve significantly because you have great ECs and your cGPA is good, but 32 isn't competitive. For that reason if you want to apply to the top schools I'd suggest you rewrite the MCAT. (I'm speaking on the basis of past outcomes).

With a 32 MCAT (you'll really need a >35) and a <3.8 cGPA, don't bother with the very top schools like Stanford or Sinai or Northwestern (Stanford & Northwestern statistically discriminate against internationals in the first place, and plenty of Canadians apply to those). Realistically you should aim for the schools that are below Top 10 or even Top 25. If you can get your MCAT to something like a 35 or above, your chances are going to improve significantly because you have great ECs and your cGPA is good, but 32 isn't competitive. For that reason if you want to apply to the top schools I'd suggest you rewrite the MCAT. (I'm speaking on the basis of past outcomes).

What are some schools that you think I should try this cycle? I will be writing the MCAT soon so we'll see how that changes.

So the list I have so far is: Albert E., Dartmouth, Columbia, Penn State, Wayne State, GWU.

Is that a sufficient list? Should I remove or add any schools?

What are some schools that you think I should try this cycle? I will be writing the MCAT soon so we'll see how that changes.

So the list I have so far is: Albert E., Dartmouth, Columbia, Penn State, Wayne State, GWU.

Is that a sufficient list? Should I remove or add any schools?

Scratch Columbia, add MSU, U Kentucky, Hawaii (I'm serious, they are quite Canadian friendly), Georgetown, SUNY Upstate, Med College Wisconsin, Case (high reach?), NYU (high reach?), NYMC, Jefferson, Oakland, St. Louis.

If you can break the magic 35/36 then all the US schools that are known to interview Canadians are fair game, maybe except Yale and WashU and maybe Vanderbilt (known to like high #s from Canadians).