Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
That's a really useful topic. saved me tons of emailing to do. i'm really happy.

I have a question though... when you say "columbia", which university do u exactly mean? there are a few with columbia in them but i have a feeling it's the one in NY.

thansk :)

There's only one Columbia, it's in NYC (Ivy League). There's also U Missouri Columbia, but that's named after the location (state school).

Thanks Jochi.

I didn't know there were that many US schools that accepted Canadians. I randomy looked at many of them on the AAMC websites and they all said no. I guess I just chose the wrong ones..

so how do we really narrow it down to like 6 or 7 schools? this is really overwhelming!!!

You don't narrow it down to 6-7...usually, you apply to 15 or so, more if your #s are not very competitive. I think the average person applies to 15 schools, receives about 3-5 interviews, and 1-2 acceptances. I applied to like 22 or smth and so far only have 1 interview.

I see. I also want to apply to Canadian schools. that's why i thought i should probably need to narrow down my list of US schools. but if i think i have the time i would definitely apply to the most schools possible..

but still though, there should be a way to categorize these schools in smaller groups. i will try to do it over the next few days and if i get something i will post it. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

As I sit here waiting to hear back about my Dalhousie application I"m starting to think about spreading out my applications a little more next year if I get rejected this time around. As far as that list of US schools that except Canadian students has anybody researched what the tuition and GPA/MCAT cut offs are for those schools? I find a lot of US schools don't list cut offs on their webpage. Right now I'm not sure what my GPA is exactly. It was a ~82% from each year of a B.Sc at Guelph. I think that translates to ~3.7. My current MCAT is 30 O though I may try to redo it this summer if I get that dreaded rejection letter. I have a decent amount of ECs. I'm currently working full time as a clinical trials coordinator so by next year I will have a full year of working with patients and doing research full time. What American schools would I have a chance at?? What sort of tuition am I looking at for them?

Also, does anybody know if it's possible to get a decent amount of financial aid when applying to international school like the US (either through scholarships/bursuries or student loans)?? I ask because I have very little money and am looking a riding through my whole medical education on loans (slightly scary, I know).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I believe U of Rochester does. Check out their website

Hey, I dont think it does. Here is what it says regarding international applicants:

" The school does not accept applications for admission from individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States. There is one exception to this policy. Applications will be accepted from foreign nationals who have, or expect to receive, an undergraduate degree from the University of Rochester."

Hey, I dont think it does. Here is what it says regarding international applicants:

" The school does not accept applications for admission from individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States. There is one exception to this policy. Applications will be accepted from foreign nationals who have, or expect to receive, an undergraduate degree from the University of Rochester."

Thats exactly what the n00b was asking - which schools are you eligible to apply to given that you're not a PR who did a US undergrad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, is this list current? I'm planning on getting my primary in as soon as possible and want to know where I can apply.

BTW, I emailed Georgetown and they said the they definitely accept Canadian applications and the admissions officer said "We don't keep separate statistics for international students, because they are not considered differently from regular applicants." which seems pretty sweet!

From my experience with georgetown, they are very happy to accept your primary, secondary, and secondary application fee (about $100). I wouldn't count on getting an interview though.

(although if you are an exceptional applicant, you may get an interview)

not true at all.

I interviewed this year with very average stats. Just write a great essay.

• 2 weeks later...