Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

so I have a link here that discusses each school and the admission odds for non U.S. citizens..from what I read, this does not bode well for us Canadians

http://www.fiu.edu/~preprofc/International_Students_School_Policies.htm

I hope this list is not very accurate.

It's bad but not nearly as grim as that link suggests because many schools will look at Canadian students as OOS applicants and many that consider Canadian students international applicats will not require an escrow account (I have emailed many schools to find that out).

This is where I think the US World News report is a must for anyone applying to the states. They list the number of applicants and the number that interviewed, got accepted and matriculated. For many private schools, they look at internationals exactly the same way as US residents. The number of people that matriculate is usually much much lower than the number that get accepted.

Just an example: last year only 4 internationals matriculated at the University of Chicago. At first glance, that seems ridiculously low. But 4 times that many people were accepted. While that number is still low, you can see how big a difference there is.

Loma Linda University in California also accepts Canadian students. This was the first school to transplant a baboon heart into baby Fay (sp?) (xenotransplantation). Unfortunately, tuition is very high there (<$30,000 per year).

Isn't Loma Linda associated with a strange religious group?

Guest begaster

I'm a bit confused with the list. I'm looking at the 2009-2010 MSAR, and both UCSF and UCLA do not look Canadian friendly based on it.

UCSF had 159 international applicants, and zero matriculations (unknown number of interviews).

UCLA has 263 applicants, 2 interviews, zero matriculations.

Do they group Canadians as non-residents instead of internationals, then? This bloody MSAR is unbelievably useless.

Whether or not Canadians are treated as internationals or as OOS applicants depends on each individual school and it's something you would have to find out from each individual school (not MSAR). If you know the schools you are interested in I would email them and find out (that's what I did with some).

In case anybody is interested, I e-mailed a few schools: SUNY downstate says they haven't taken any internationals (Canadians included) in the last 10 years.

Maryland says they consider Canadians as out of state and NYU says the same. Georgetown doesn't give preference to citizenship. Hope that helps!

• 3 months later...
In case anybody is interested, I e-mailed a few schools: SUNY downstate says they haven't taken any internationals (Canadians included) in the last 10 years.

Maryland says they consider Canadians as out of state and NYU says the same. Georgetown doesn't give preference to citizenship. Hope that helps!

Well last year someone got into SUNY downstate here on the forums. I just looked back and it was a user named K-Fed. Maybe no canadian matriculated there, but probably some were accepted.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
i would really appreciate it (along with many others) if that list could be updated by some1. After getting rejected twice in Ontario, I am going to look into US Schools.

It is up to date. All the schools that accept internationals are on that list. Whether or not canadians interview there regularly, well you can consult the accepted, waitlisted, rejected thread and the official interview invite thread.