Premed 101 Forums

GoldenKey - join or not?

Hello all,

A bigggggggg dilemma here, did you join the GoldenKey? The deadline is tomorrow (Nov1), and I can't decide. It seems like I will be wasting the $90 because probably the majority of scholarships are ulter-super competitive and the internships and international opportunities are mostly for business students.... But on the other hand, it just feels like a loss since most if not all whom I know have joined it....... only to regret it later hahaha :rolleyes:

now, do you think it's beneficial? like the career search database, is it even friendly to life sciences students? are the scholarships hopelessly competitive? does it even help in finding a job if you say you're part of GoldenKey - employeres can tell if you have a high academic standing anyway.... so yeh, advice please! :(

I got offers to this every year during undergrad...I refused to join everytime. In my opinion, any "honor society" where you have to pay to join is not worth my time...and as for the fact that it recognizes that you are in the top 15% in your university, I think in order to get accepted to meds classes nowadays, you're going to have to be in the top 15% or better anyway, so the "recognition" part is pretty much a gimmick.

Patent,

U of T Meds 2009

Hi,

This question seem to pop up every year. I think the consensus is that joining this society simply for the recognition or "prestige" is a waste of money. As a previous poster mentioned, almost every applicant who applies to medical school have stats worthy enough to be invited in, so joining it hoping to stand out from the crowd is futile. However, if you feel like you'd enjoy the activities that GK offers and can contribute something to your school/community, by all means join.

I got offers to this every year during undergrad...I refused to join everytime.

Once you join it, you're a member for life. There's no reason to join again. I would agree that its not necessary to join it, but most people do so they can put it on their resume. I realize that you might not need it to be viewed as a strong applicant, but it certainly doesn't hurt either.

Hi,

This question seem to pop up every year. I think the consensus is that joining this society simply for the recognition or "prestige" is a waste of money. As a previous poster mentioned, almost every applicant who applies to medical school have stats worthy enough to be invited in, so joining it hoping to stand out from the crowd is futile. However, if you feel like you'd enjoy the activities that GK offers and can contribute something to your school/community, by all means join.

I think this is the best response you can get.

What a gong show! I have no prior experience with GK but this thing stinks like a money-making scam. I mean seriously, it's more than just pay to get in - on their website you can BUY a plaque saying you're a member? or a medal to wear around your neck?! when was the last time you had to pay for your own plaque of recognition?

Just go to an awards store and get one made for yourself.

Or, if you pay me three easy payments of $49.95, I'll send you a plaque that has your name and "Silver Lock" or "Member of Superior United Club of Knighthood = S.U.C.K." or "Mensabater" or whatever club name you want. Then put that on your resume.

Save your money and just let your GPA speak for itself. Ask your dean for your percentile and put that on your CV.

I joined the Golden Key to make my mom happy and it turned out that they hooked me up with some awesome volunteer opportunities that were only available to members of the Golden Key. Also, the society sometimes holds "meet and greet" nights, which are excellent opportunities to connect with the faculty and staff in graduate and professional programs. You should see if the chapter at your school actually does stuff, and if they do it might be worth it!

Or, if you pay me three easy payments of $49.95, I'll send you a plaque that has your name and "Silver Lock" or "Member of Superior United Club of Knighthood = S.U.C.K." or "Mensabater" or whatever club name you want. Then put that on your resume.

:D

btw, my take on this is if money isn't an issue...then joining won't really help you, but it can't hurt. as someone already posted, to be competitive, you'd better already be in the top 15% for golden key or dean's list..

I didn't, and won't.

But if you have the $80 or whatever it is to burn, then why not? I'm not saying that you are, OP, but just don't think that it would "look good on the app/CV/resume". In fact, I'd think twice about putting it down on my CV (especially for Canadian programs as opposed to American) because who knows what the person reading it is going to think. If golden key can lead you to better opportunities, then I'd say it's a plus. Won't be a minus.

Archived