Premed 101 Forums

Physics pre-req

Hello all,

I am an OOP applicant and I found out recently that I do not have 6 eligible credits of physics. I am considering to take PHYS 202 through Athabasca university.:mad:

The thing is, I would much rather not take the course, especially if I do not even obtain an interview. The last day before I get a W on my transcript and I withdraw from the course is Jan 1, which unfortunately for me, is likely way before they announce interview offers.

My question is, is a W on a transcript frowned upon?

And is PHYS 202 (online) from athabasca is considered more or less difficult than other institutions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I'm currently in first-year at UofA. I'm not on the admission committee, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. :) First of all, I don't think having a "W" is "frowned upon" as long as you have all the prerequisites, carry a full courseload, and maintain a high enough GPA to pass the UofA GPA cutoff. For example, I'm myself an OOP and had two "W"s when I applied to UofA last year. However, it didn't seem to cause much a problem for me because I got into UofA in the first-round of admission!

Secondly, I can't tell whether Athabasca courses are "harder" or "easier" compared to other universities. As long as you have the prerequisite, you'd be okay. But, make sure whether you also need a lab component in your physics course. The last thing you would want to do is study darn hard in your physics class, pass the exams, and get a credit only to find out that you won't get a physics credit because it doesn't have a lab component. Just my $0.02.

Hope this helps. :)

Archived