Premed 101 Forums

general interest: answer this o-chem question

Jochi1543

Just got out of an o-chem midterm and I'm in agony over the one question I spent 30+ minutes trying to figure out, even though I had no problem with other questions of this type on the same exam. He wanted us to come up with a ketone that had NO primary carbons and had a formula of C4H8O2. I eventually gave up, but I'm still agonizing over it and can't find anything like that on Google. Maybe someone here will end my agony by telling me what it would look like? I thought that to have no primary carbons, this molecule would have to have a ring structure to it, but the basic ring is C4H8 so after adding the double-bond oxygen to make it a ketone 2 hydrogens would have to leave, and then there's also the second oxygen to be put somewhere, so it didn't really work. Any takers?

...uh that seems pretty easy

2-one-butanol

seems to work

if theres an alcohol group

otherwise, CH3COCH2-O-CH3 (an ether compound)

no, this one has two primary carbons...

I think there might be a typo in the question...with an unsaturation number of 1 (which accounts for the carbonyl double bond), I don't see how you could avoid having a primary carbon. Maybe the formula was meant to be C4H6O2 or something like that?

Are you sure that it's a ketone? If it simply said it was a carbonyl, then it could be a straight chain with an aldehyde on one end and an alcohol on the other.

No, I re-read the question 30 times on the exam thinking "no way" and yes, it's correct. I also thought he made a mistake in the question. I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone else in my class yet, I wonder whether anyone was able to answer it.

Are you sure that it's a ketone? If it simply said it was a carbonyl, then it could be a straight chain with an aldehyde on one end and an alcohol on the other.

This system would still have 2 primary carbons. Primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary are indications of how many other carbons the carbon in question is bonded to. A C-O bond (or C=O bond) is not taken into consideration .

Epoxides as a kind of ketone?...and what would such epoxidic ketones:D look like?

C'mon you guys...you're making me feel like an o-chem expert which I know I'm not...but hey, it's good for my ego:D

:P Well no, I mean obviously it isn't, but there's still the oxygen with two bonds to carbon, it's just that they're different carbons! And yes, that does sound stupid to me when I write it out. Come to think of it, an epoxide is closer to a weird ether than a weird ketone.

Archived