Premed 101 Forums

nov 4th DAT post-mortem

Carving was easy. The blades they gave us were so damn sharp though hahaa they ran out of bandaids to hand out during the section because so many people were cutting themselves. I finished with like 10-12 minutes left to make "final touches"

Science - oh what a ***** this was lol. Harder than the CDA one and first year biology/chemistry (and i had over 90% in those classes). WTF was with the plant structure question? It seemed like I didn't learn lots of the biology stuff in 1st year bio.

PAT- not too bad, felt a bit long. Some of the Top View/End View/ Front View questions were tricky.

RC- really easy (i hope i didn't screw it up lol). I finished with like 5 minutes left, it was way less rushed than with the IQ practise questions (I even had the time to read the passages!)

Plant phsyiology is less emphasized on the Canadian DAT than the American DAT. Unfortunately, most of the resources available, ie. KAPLAN, are tailored to the American DAT.

When I wrote the DAT, I barely glanced at the plant physiology section. However, if you are the type that want to get every point possible, then go ahead and study that section. There will be a few questions for sure.

in terms of plant physio, know your structures and functions. all the plant questions i can remember from when i was studying were mainly things like 'what plant structure gives rise to pollen', etc. (the answer, btw, is anther, i believe). and it was mainly regarding flowering plants.

as for the carving section...the Nov. DAT had a notched triangle, one middle notch, and a fluted end. but practice a range of patterns. i've heard that the carving pattern can contain fluted triangles/squares, notched triangles/squares, simple flutes, simple notches, and one or two middle notches.

• 2 weeks later...
in terms of plant physio, know your structures and functions. all the plant questions i can remember from when i was studying were mainly things like 'what plant structure gives rise to pollen', etc. (the answer, btw, is anther, i believe). and it was mainly regarding flowering plants.

as for the carving section...the Nov. DAT had a notched triangle, one middle notch, and a fluted end. but practice a range of patterns. i've heard that the carving pattern can contain fluted triangles/squares, notched triangles/squares, simple flutes, simple notches, and one or two middle notches.

thanks for the reply

it was really helpful

:)

Archived