Premed 101 Forums

cutt off GPA & MCAT

hp18

Different schools base their interview invites on different criteria. At UWO, if you exceed the MCAT and GPA cut-offs you will be invited for an interview regardless of your ECs. UWO needs a four year degree though prior to admission. Other schools, like Ottawa, Toronto, McMaster, etc, base interview invites on a combination of a compositie score from GPA +/- MCAT and ECs (the ECs can be evaluated through the essay, ABS, extended sketch, etc).

Too complicated....I hope they quantify without a prejudice and they are fair....I feel their should be a method to quantify everything without human intervention.

In my humble opinion, i think having a bit of human intervention is a good idea. There are some human characteristics that I think cannot be reliably quantitated, such as humbleness, motivation and genuineness.

There are threads in other folders that discuss what the optimal selection procedure is for entrance into medical school, and I think the consensus is that the system, at least in Canada, is by in large doing an excellent job of selecting appropriate students. Having said that, there is nonetheless an element of luck involved in applying to medicine...

Best of luck.

I hope to maintain GPA around 3.9.....Not yet done MCAT but will try to do well. Volunteering in a hospital and very keen to become a physician (genuinely, not just for monetory reasons). Inspite of this if luck plays a role and can not get into med school, it will be very disappointing for me....

I hope to maintain GPA around 3.9.....Not yet done MCAT but will try to do well. Volunteering in a hospital and very keen to become a physician (genuinely, not just for monetory reasons). Inspite of this if luck plays a role and can not get into med school, it will be very disappointing for me....
Imho, if someone takes a traditional route (applies in their fourth year of undergrad), maintains good grades, makes the MCAT cutoffs, does a reasonable amount of extracurriculars), AND applies to a reasonable number of medical schools (say, at least three) then they will get in somewhere the vast majority of the time. Yeah, there's an element of luck insofar as you may not get into a particular school, but I believe that it's very rare for a traditional applicant who has met all the requirements to get rejected everywhere. Relax!

Archived