Premed 101 Forums

UBC - MSc Students Admissions

Hey Guys,

Just posting to see if anybody's out there applyin to UBC. How strictly does UBC look at DAT??? I know they have minimum of 12 on carving. I hope I made this....Perceptual, Im not sure either....

My academic average in Undergrad along with 1 grad course is 84.6. Along with the references, and personal essay...is this good enough????? I hope the DAT doesn't break my application.

Please share your thoughts. O btw, Im from Toronto applyin to vancouver

Quick q: How many words is the essay supposed to be????

last year when i applied, i had a 15 on carving and a 20 on PAT...when i got waitlisted after the interview and phoned in to ask which area i should have done better in, my carving/PAT ranking was somewhere around the 12th percentile among interviewees (don't remember exactly, but it was a sad score) and in every other category i was just around or slightly above the admission percentile (average ranking of >= 57 percentile gets in).

they don't tell you how each category is weighted but my guess is that carving and PAT is important...but with your high gpa you should be in a better position than i was last year! i think you will most likely get an interview if you didn't bomb any of the dat sections...then if you don't blow your interview, you will most likely get into ubc (off the waitlist if not directly admitted)

they don't give preference to in prov students at ubc so you are on a level battlefield with everyone else...hope that helps :]

Hey FullMetal,

Thanks for the response. So what you're saying is that you didn't get in solely because of your DAT score????

I get the feeling UBC is more of a comprehensive application and rejecting someone based on just the DAT score seems very odd

What about other aspsects of your application??? Were your grades good and your references and essay???

well, that was my case for not getting in...

it's hard to guess how much weighting each section gets but carving/PAT definitely has the potential to make or break an application at ubc. my undergrad gpa at the time of application was 82% and that was slightly above average...i've posted my DAT scores before but i'll post it again (plz don't think i enjoy 'flaunting' my scores, i know they're not that outstanding :cool: ) chem 22, bio 19, reading 22, PAT 20, carving 15....aa 21

so there it is...again, my other scores were hovering around the 57th percentile, i couldn't tell you exact numbers anymore cuz it's been a while...i could tell you that i thought my refs were solid (prof, dentist, extracurriculur supervisor), my EC/autobio was strong imo (good volunteer, coop year in the states... i think my autobio was wut ultimately scored me into mcgill), and my interview was slightly above 57th percentile

but hey, ubc's waitlist moved ~15-18 ppl down to me (from 57 to 39 percentile) and even a little beyond, just to put things into perspective...

This is so nerve-crackin.....

I submitted my application but, im paranoid as hell if i submitted everything or not....this is so wack...

I feel like Eric Cartman and the Nintendo Wii episode...

Wish I could freeze myself and go into the future as well....BAHHHHHH

Archived